WFAE is seeking an accomplished Director of Development to lead the station’s Major Gifts team. The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of WFAE’s major gifts, planned giving, grants, and capital campaigns. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director of Branding & Engagement and will work closely with the President & CEO, senior staff, and board members to build compelling fundraising initiatives that fund WFAE services and appeal to the needs and interests of our increasingly diverse community.
This position will manage a portfolio of WFAE donors, while managing the Major Gifts team of two development officers and ensuring that the CEO’s donor portfolio is fully engaged.
The Director of Development will make regular presentations to an array of internal and external constituents and should have strong presentation and data analysis skills.
WFAE is an innovative, multi platform newsroom and, as such, we are looking for candidates who want to help redefine how we serve, reach and connect with audiences through broadcast, online, and on-demand platforms as well as in person. At WFAE, collaboration is not just an ideal, it is required at every level of our work. Internally, we work collaboratively to achieve goals. Externally, we collaborate with partners to expand the work and impact of WFAE, and we collaborate with the community to better understand and tell their stories.
We are eager to speak to candidates who are creative, possess a can-do attitude, and who value and champion diversity, inclusivity and equity in their own approach to leading teams and serving the community. This job is based in Charlotte, N.C. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- Must embrace the mission of WFAE
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have strong data analysis and presentation skills.
- Have a record of success as a fundraiser.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Experience managing a major gifts department/team.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Grow the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct mailings and other donor communications.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with WFAE Senior Staff and Board of Directors.
- Schedule and lead Board Development Committee meetings.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
This role is a fit if:
- You understand that the work of WFAE, and local journalism everywhere, is essential to healthy communities and a thriving democracy and that your role is critical in building the capacity not just for the work but for its higher purpose
- You are an inspiring, strategic and analytical leader who possesses excellent problem-solving, opportunity-creating skills
- You have success building, motivating and leading teams
- You have the ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, high-pressure environment
- You have a working knowledge of database functionality (Allegiance preferred)
- You have a firm commitment to diversity: a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socioeconomic circumstance.
- If you are confident that you can meet the goals of this job and have most but not all of the skills listed, we encourage you to still apply.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity:
WFAE is deeply committed to and desires for our workforce to be a reflection of the community we serve. WFAE is an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who contribute to our diversity, equality and inclusion. All persons meeting the qualifications above are encouraged and welcome to apply.
In a nutshell
WFAE, the NPR station in Charlotte, is an award-winning multiplatform newsroom (radio, digital, podcasts, live events) committed to providing high-quality local news and engagement that meets the needs of our diverse community. Our mission is to deliver journalism that informs, engages and inspires. Our vision is to help create a more knowledgeable and engaged community grounded in our shared humanity.
This is an exciting time in WFAE’s history. We’ve doubled the size of our newsroom over the last five years, and in that time, we’ve seen record growth in our audience and revenue numbers. We are a relatively small, innovative team of journalists and business professionals who are committed to not only providing our community with news and information about the Charlotte region and beyond but also being a bridge to convene people for courageous conversations, training opportunities or just to have a good time. As our service to the region grows, so does our need to generate the revenue to support it. The chief financial officer will work closely with other WFAE leaders to implement the strategy and processes to help us get to the next level.
Annual Budget: $7.4M
Video: Learn About the Work of WFAE
- 425% growth in digital audience over the last five years
- 71% increase in membership revenue over the last five years
- 50% growth in corporate sponsorship over the last five years
WFAE offers a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Across WFAE, we strive to:
Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.