WFIU/WTIU News is the largest public media newsroom in Indiana. We are searching for an innovative journalist to lead our digital news efforts. The Digital Journalist is in charge of the news website, social media platforms and newsletters.
RADIO-TELEVISION SERVICES (BL-RTVS-IUBLA)
Visit here for infromation on WTIU/WFIU and RTVS.
Responsible for independently developing and reporting stories for multiple media outlets, such as radio production, television broadcast, and online. Content may be focused in one subject or geographic area or span multiple topics or regions and may involve significant field research. Work must be balanced and vetted, representing multiple points of view from both citizens and experts.
- Creates stories for multiple media platforms, including radio, television, podcast, and online productions, that meet production standards and deadlines.
- Independently seeks out news focuses, researches information, interprets conflicting data, pitches ideas, writes in-depth articles, and prepares related program materials and segments for broadcast; research may involve time spent in the field conducting interviews.
- Ensures all materials produced are engaging and meet professional journalistic standards and practices, including standards for accuracy, ethics, fairness, objectivity, and balance.
- Serves as a consultant to Indiana Public Broadcasting stations and coordinates with stations to provide contributions to national and regional networks; manages partnerships with news organizations to ensure news coverage is representative of all parts of Indiana.
- May review peer journalists' stories and offer content suggestions.
- May manage social media content and activity.
Bachelor's degree in broadcast media, journalism, liberal arts, or a related field.
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
Proficient communication skills. Maintains a high degree of professionalism. Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills. Demonstrates a high commitment to quality. Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment. Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty.
Experience in a related field.
Working Conditions / Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
Career Level: Core
Job Function: Marketing & Communications
Job Family: Journalism
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.