WFYI Public Media Job Description
WFYI is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and is now accepting applications for:
Job Title: Project Manager, Side Effects Public Media
Classification: Full-time, Salaried, Temporary (one-year grant funded assignment)
Salary: Commensurate with experience; includes WFYI benefits package
Relationship: This position reports directly to the WFYI News Director, from whom overall direction is received. This position works closely with the Side Effects Managing Editor in terms of strategy and tactics for achievement of project deliverables; collaborates also with the Manager, Grants and Foundation Relations, for grant reporting to funder(s).
Description: Side Effects Public Media is a multi-state public health journalism collaborative, based at WFYI in Indianapolis, Ind. The Project Manager ensures compliance with timelines and deliverables in grant funding agreements. This position drives growth by developing a distribution strategy that capitalizes on relationships with traditional media outlets and communities of interest. The Project Manager also monitors Side Effects’ reach and impact, using qualitative and quantitative tools. This position interacts closely with community engagement, editorial and other departments.
- Ensure Side Effects Public Media delivers on its journalism and community engagement commitments to funders and WFYI by:
- Honing key performance and impact metrics to be relevant, accurate, meaningful
- Aligning work of community engagement with Side Effects focus areas
- Monitoring fulfillment of dashboard metrics
- Vigorously tracking expenses against budget
- Leading periodic budget review meetings with key internal stakeholders
- Work with Side Effects partner stations and with Indiana Public Broadcasting stations to ensure communication of mutual goals
- Seek and identify potential funding opportunities, then collaborate with the Manager, Grants and Foundations Relations to pursue them
- Assist in the expansion and retention of Side Effects’ multi-platform content by:
- Strengthening relations with creditable aggregators of public health news
- Creating regular evaluations of, and reports on, the success of news service distribution
- Establish, maintain and/or create systems for tracking distribution and impact, such as Audience Explorer and Google Analytics, that permit quantification of Side Effects’ reach and influence on a diverse national audience
- Along with Community Engagement Health Specialist, work with community organizations, social service agencies, health advocacy groups, researchers and others to develop content and foster broad distribution of health reporting.
- Collaborate with Manager, Grants and Foundation Relations, to ensure timely delivery of grant reports to funders.
- Minimum of five years professional experience with evidence of progression in responsibility
- Understanding of public media and journalistic practices
- Significant experience in managing projects, preferably for a media organization
- Demonstrated exceptional skillset for building partner relationships.
- Strong interest in or knowledge of public health, public policy, social or health sciences
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to collaborative work and learning
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (high level of competence in Excel) and project management software
- Experience using data to inform strategy and decision-making
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications preferred
- At least two years’ newsroom experience highly desirable
- Familiarity with multi-platform (audio, video, digital, social media) news delivery highly desirable
- High energy and passion for WFYI Public Media mission and core values of:
- Operating with unquestionable integrity
- Collaborating with each other and with community partners
- Respecting everyone
- Serving with humility
- Embracing change
- Delivering excellence every day.