METROPOLITAN INDIANAPOLIS PUBLIC MEDIA, INC
WFYI is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
As Indiana’s largest public media, WFYI reaches more than half a million people with trusted news and compelling stories across radio, TV, digital, and in-person. Every day, we leverage NPR, PBS, and our local staff to empower, educate, entertain, and connect our communities through impactful journalism, inspiring stores, and lifelong learning.
* True sales role with base salary + commission
The Account Executive will work with businesses and non-profits on statewide and regional sales and build relationship with stations across the state to work together on statewide opportunities. This position will use a consultative sales approach for selling sponsorship of radio, television, and digital sponsorships. Keys to success will include direct client business and building relationships with statewide and regional public media sponsorship teams to present statewide opportunities. The applicant should have an ability to build strong relationships and clearly communicate the mission of public media.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the essential functions and responsibilities listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Meet overall annual sponsorship goals through direct sales, station relations and administrative function.
- Direct Sales
- Prospecting- Research, locate, and contact potential clients that are a good match with the public media audience, focusing on statewide, regional, and federal opportunities
- Sales Process – Perform business needs analysis, build proposals, maintain accounts through excellent customer service and high level of client satisfaction
- Copywriting – Oversee production of FM and TV on-air credits for underwriters and approval of underwriting copy, following FCC and individual station guidelines
- Travel - Some statewide travel will be required to engage with clients in all markets
- Sell in a way that is consistent with the station’s standards of excellence, mission, and values for representing public radio and television
- Station Relationship Management
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with underwriting teams at public media stations around the state to learn each market and to facilitate the statewide portion of sponsorship opportunities
- Maintain statewide sales materials, rate cards and opportunities
- Represent the station in a manner that meets with the station’s market image
- Follow each station guidelines regarding copy approval, traffic deadlines, account receivables and collections
- Follow the station process and systems for monthly projection and weekly goal meetings. Prepare sales projections, weekly reports, short/long term strategy, plan, and goals
- Work with stations to place individual schedules for statewide buys
- Maintain current client information and activity in CRM
- Monitor market conditions, current industry information, prices, and sales
- Perform collections activities
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in sales and/or marketing – in media, or securing corporate sponsors
- Computer skills include proficiency and willingness to learn and use all Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams)
- Commercial or public media sales and/or advertising experience required with focus on business needs analysis and consultative sales
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Driven, motivated, curious, and persistent salesperson with a proven record of performance
- Knowledge of agencies, media and production terms and processes preferred
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with strong attention to achievement of sales goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including conveying information and ideas
- Active listener with demonstrated ability to listen to and understand what their prospects and clients need
- Pro-active problem solver with positive attitude who can build trust with many different constituents, including sales reps in markets around the state, agencies, and direct business
- Interest and passion for the mission of public media
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
- Must be able to lift, carry and position 25 pounds at times