METROPOLITAN INDIANAPOLIS PUBLIC MEDIA, INC.
WFYI Public Media is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Job Title: Government and Policy Reporter
Classification: Permanent, full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience and responsibility, exempt
Relationship: The Government and Policy Reporter will report directly to the Director of News.
Description: WFYI wants an ambitious, experienced reporter to tackle complex issues through the lens of policy’s impact on residents. The reporter will spend significant time in the field getting to know neighborhoods, families, and policymakers to produce sound-rich, in-depth stories about our challenges. The applicant will be able to respond confidently to breaking news and be a watchdog on the Mayor’s Office and the budget approving City-County Council. Story types span from daily local stories to long-form interviews and web explainers, to in-depth human-interest profiles, to municipal elections. This reporter will also file reports for Indiana’s statewide public media collaboration and national stories for NPR, as directed.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Attend government and community meetings for both daily stories and background.
- Develop sources across the beat.
- Explore ways to connect with new and existing audiences through community engagement.
- Build a social media audience around the beat.
- Produce both in-depth and newscast stories on deadline that follow NPR and PBS quality and ethical guidelines.
- Contribute to daily local news meetings.
- Contribute to topic planning and training meetings with local, state and regional teams.
- Report for statewide, regional and national news and support the daily statewide wide talk show as needed.
- Respond to breaking news as needed.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent work experience required
- Demonstrated initiative
- Daily reporting experience
- Proven web and social media skills
- Video reporting and editing experience preferred
- Flexibility of schedule required, and the position entails some travel
- Ability to balance multiple projects in a changing environment
- High energy and passion for growing public media’s journalism service