GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH Children’s Media and Education is responsible for creating a range of broadcast and digital content, informal and formal education initiatives, distance learning, and collaborations with leading national organizations. Through these efforts, the department reaches and serves families and children, caregivers, educators and a host of partners including state and local agencies also dedicated to the whole child.
The Director of Communications is the lead “storyteller,” building visibility, awareness and engagement for the brands as well as the mission of the department. The Director is responsible for developing and implementing a strategy that defines and promotes the unique value of GBH Kids in the larger, competitive landscape, with targeted campaigns that reach a diverse audience of influentials, consumers, business partners, industry outlets, funder, supporters, and content creators. The campaigns will contribute to the growth, impact, funding and visibility of GBH Kid’s content and related initiatives.
The Director will report to the Chief Marketing office but will be embedded in the Children’s Media and Education unit, working closely with the teams that create broadcast and digital content, as well as educational outreach and curricula. Core functions will include creating and implementing communications campaigns; innovating new programs, platforms and processes for connecting our messages with key audiences; building successful collaboration with PBS and CPB colleagues; and finding more ways for the WGBH Foundation to leverage the amazing work of the unit.
- Help develop and execute strategic marketing and communications plans
- Identify, prioritize, develop, and elevate key storylines and themes among Children’s Media and Education that are relevant to key audiences, including parents and kids, teachers, funders, the PBS system, and other institutional stakeholders.
- Use strategies and tactics, working directly with members of the media (traditional and emerging), proactively pitching stories and coverage of GBH Kids and Education and responding to media inquiries.
- Perform proactive outreach to press, thought leaders and community influencers and communications vehicles at national organizations whose focus aligns with the department’s mission.
- Identify media opportunities and public appearances for GBH Kids and Education executives and talent.
- Develop new approaches to raise visibility (influencers, events, etc.)
- Partner with Director of Education Marketing (social media for Kids, and marketing to educators); the Senior Director of National Audience Development and Station Marketing (implements national campaigns to PBS stations in US markets and institutional messaging related to public media); and the Director of Media Relations (responsible for GBH regional and institutional media outreach) to align communication and marketing campaigns with GBH’s institutional priorities.
- Collaborate with key departments to create holistic campaigns that are effective and integrated.
- Perform original writing and editing of press releases, messages (op-eds, bylines, web copy), proposals, and other related communications work.
- Leverage both traditional and emerging public relations to promote institutional priorities, including education initiatives.
- Generate reports, proposals, manage budgets and other tasks that support campaign goals and tactics.
- Be involved in the hiring and managing any outside marketing/PR agency
- Capacity to steward plans from design to implementation, in collaboration with stakeholders and colleagues, as well as setting priorities and managing timelines and details.
- Comprehensive, professional knowledge of traditional and emerging public relations and social media tools.
- Experience building and managing relationships with key media and community influencers.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing strategic outreach plans.
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Ability to thrive in high-energy, deadline-driven setting.
- Familiarity with education and children’s’ media a plus.
- Must have exceptional writing ability and strong interpersonal skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required
Specialization in journalism, communications, marketing, education or professional experience in related field strongly preferred.
Must have 7 to 10 years’ experience in marketing and communications campaigns, media outreach and placements.
This is a project contract position.
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.