GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
NOVA is the most popular prime time science series on American television, demystifying the scientific and technological concepts that shape and define our lives, our planet, and our universe. The PBS series is also one of the most widely distributed science programs around the world, and is a multimedia, multi platform brand reaching more than 55 million Americans every year on TV and online. NOVA’s important and inspiring stories of human ingenuity, exploration, and the quest for knowledge are regularly recognized with the industry’s most prestigious awards. As part of its mission to make the scientific enterprise accessible to all, NOVA is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work, from the production process to the range of stories we tell and voices we feature. In addition, science educators across the country rely on NOVA for resources used in the classroom as well as in museums, libraries, and after-school programs. NOVA is a production of GBH Boston; more information can be found at pbs.org/nova, or by following NOVA on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Reporting to the Co-Executive Producer, the Project Manager will oversee activities, budget, timeline, and deliverables for NOVA’s new Science and Society Project, and will serve as the primary liaison for external partner stations and internal WGBH departments participating in the project.
A central purpose of the initiative is to develop and test a new scalable model of collaboration between local PBS stations and national producers using a variety of multi-platform content and activities. The goal is to grow and diversify our collective audiences as well as deepen engagement around public media science content in ways that benefit the PBS system as a whole.
Project components and deliverables include, but are not limited to, a long-form documentary, short form digital video production, online reporting, education and outreach resources, community screenings, social media campaigns, and audience engagement metrics tracking.
- Track and monitor project progress across project areas to ensure deliverables are on time and within budget, and that all requirements are met.
- Review project expenses on a monthly basis and provide updated budget projections and narratives for quarterly budget reviews and funder reports as requested by the NOVA finance team.
- Serve as the primary project liaison for logistical and materials needs of the five partner PBS stations and connect them with NOVA and GBH contacts and resources as needed.
- Schedule and attend regular meetings with internal teams and external partner stations to review completed and upcoming tasks, and update plans, schedules, and budget projections to reflect most current information. Prepare meeting minutes and follow up on resulting action items.
- Identify process gaps, issues or bottlenecks that cause scheduling or communications delays and work with NOVA managers and cross functional teams to resolve.
- Become well-versed in all GBH policies and compliance requirements and provide policy and compliance support to project personnel and external partners/subawardees.
- Maintain and update central project files.
- Ensure effective, timely, and consistent communication with internal staff and partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience with budget tracking and reporting using Excel; ability to create customized budgets, timelines, and reports from scratch in Excel; and proficiency with manipulating and formatting large amounts of data exported to Excel.
- Ability to create cohesive, team-oriented relationships with internal and external stakeholders over multiple locations within a work from home context.
- Comfort level and tolerance for reading, interpreting and applying complex policies, rules, and regulations.
- Excellent judgement and discretion coupled with the ability to work independently but also to know when to seek guidance.
- Excellent multitasking, time management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint; cloud-based software such as Google docs; off-site communications applications such as Slack and Zoom; and social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, etc.
Additional Skills/Experience Preferred:
- Three Years of project management experience
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Experience with science-related digital content production and social media projects.
- Experience managing grant funded projects.
This is a project contract position
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply on our career site at