The Assistant Director, Communications manages and oversees the daily operations of communications and public relations programs in support of WGCU Membership and Development. This position is responsible to create, develop, and implement communications plans and materials meant to drive audience growth for WGCU Public Media’s television broadcast streams, radio, and digital products. Assists in the analysis of the effectiveness of and establishes future direction for functional policies and programs.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Participates in the strategic planning for assigned areas and assists the Director in developing and implementing the overall departmental strategic plan. Provides oversight of communications campaigns and special projects.
- Directs departmental activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of staff. Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned area of responsibility.
- Ensures consistent donor and stewardship messaging, and optimal timing of promotional and fundraising activities, to ensure the broadest audience possible.
- Writes and produces WGCU television, radio and digital spots to promote station fundraising events intended to retain and increase audience numbers, enhance membership experiences, promote membership benefits, and encourage planned giving and car donations among other station promotions.
- Recommends ad frequency and placement for television, radio, and digital space and tracks effectiveness
- Supervises the day-to-day operations of assigned area including the supervision of departmental employees.
- Provides guidance and direction to staff involved in department services and programs. Interviews, hires, trains, and evaluates staff to ensure adequate staffing within budget.
- Facilitates the creation, production, and distribution of e-newsletters.
- Participates in formulating and implementing policies and procedures.
- Fulfills trade commitments by facilitating design and copy for appropriate ad placement.
- Participates in the planning and administration of departmental and project activities.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
- Four years of professional full-time experience in marketing, communications, graphic design, public relations, or other relevant experience.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an area of appropriate specialization.
- Six years of professional full-time experience in marketing, communications, graphic design, public relations, or other relevant experience.
- Experience with audio or multi-media production, communications or marketing project management, graphic design, writing, photography, print layout and design, print production, or social media design.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience in web development or digital development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and communication principles.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Knowledge and experience designing, implementing and assessing the effectiveness of marketing strategies and promotional materials.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, methods, and techniques. Skill in public speaking and delivering presentations to individuals and groups.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Ability to operate personal computers with proficiency and learn new applications and systems.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing information, guidance and motivation.
- Ability to utilize data and information to make decisions and projections.
- Ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and environments.