The News Reporter/Host will pitch, report, write and produce spot news, features and enterprise stories for broadcast and/or podcast, and produce local news content for WHQR’s digital platforms. The News Reporter/Host will also serve as an occasional fill-in local host for NPR’s newsmagazine programs, All Things Considered and Morning Edition. WHQR Public Media offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits; a talented, hard-working and fun group of station colleagues; a large, growing, dedicated audience; and a great place to live and work. Wilmington, NC has a small-town feel, but with all of the attractions, activities, and culture of a larger city. Rivaling both Charleston and Savannah in its charm and history, Wilmington is less than 10 miles from some of the best beaches in the southeast. If you are looking for a place where you can sharpen your journalism skills and join an award-winning local news team, then WHQR Public Media is the place for you! Under the supervision of the News Director the News Reporter/Host will produce offerings that reflect the standards of audio production, journalistic ethics, and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model.
- Pitch and formulate original story ideas for air and/or podcast.
- Research and build on existing enterprise stories.
- Produce stories on deadline.
- Work within a team environment.
- Produce news-related content for social media, including but not limited to the WHQR website and the WHQR App.
- Participate in live and online events making special appearances as needed.
- Substitute Morning Edition/All Things Considered host as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcast journalism
- Three years’ experience in news or radio production, preferably in a public media environment
- Strong on-air presence
- Skills and experience in editing
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing software, and writing for broadcast
- Good people skills
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Willingness to work flexible hours as news stories require
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position with benefits as determined for WHQR employees by Board policy. WHQR/Friends of Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send electronic versions of a cover letter, resume, air check, and names and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com
Application review to begin August 5, 2021. Open until filled.