WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
The position creates actionable insights that improve WHYY’s ability to serve its existing audience and increase its impact in the community. Additionally, this position provides data, perspective and analysis to support vital business decisions that will advance WHYY’s strategic goals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with marketing director and internal partners, collect and analyze TV, FM and digital data to provide insights about audiences and their engagement with WHYY.
- Collaborate with FM Program Director to capture, analyze and provide formalized data updates as well as perspective on a weekly, monthly and annual basis and as needed.
- Provide data and perspective enabling WHYY to generate varying models and outcomes regarding audience targeting, new ventures and business strategies.
- Partner with Digital department to capture monthly digital metrics, including all digital properties, such as WHYY Digital Studios, and provide data updates, along with an analytical narrative providing perspective.
- Collaborate with SEO contractor, digital team and marketing director to detect key words and pages and test out varying models to improve WHYY’s ranking.
- Partner with Social team to identify, capture and provide weekly, monthly and annual KPIs and achieved metrics. Share perspective of how to escalate efforts to continually elevate social media impact.
- Maintain advanced digital analytics and additional tools which enable peers across departments to access data more seamlessly.
- Identify the channels that work best for WHYY’s brand visibility and partner with marketing agencies in integrative manner to achieve the best ROI.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative audience research, including surveys and focus groups. Oversee and coordinate internal and external research studies and logistics.
- Establish best practices in data collection, media analysis and research across the organization; recommend tools to improve capabilities. Generate, maintain and improve efficiency of reporting and analyses that inform and guide strategies.
- Collect and analyze data on internal and external marketing campaigns, such as on-air promotions, social media, email, podcast, and advertisements promoting WHYY programs, services, events, donations.
- Develop analytics tracking requirements to enable in-depth analysis of website features, functionality and provide actionable insights that help refine user experience.
- Proactively meet with WHYY department heads to identify research and data needs and convene an annual plan.
- Proactively recommend better tools, KPIs, etc. and best practices to accelerate WHYY research methods and ensure relevancy.
- Serve as hub for institution-wide learnings about our audience; develop tactics to communicate key insights to staff of all levels in various departments.
- Serve as trainer/coach for staff of varying backgrounds on gathering, understanding and acting on audience behaviors and needs related to their work, including Google Analytics and other tools.
- Develop analytics tracking requirements to enable in-depth analysis of website features functionality and provide actionable insights that help refine user experience
- Provide quick turnaround research for grant-related projects. Develop and execute impact reports for funded projects.
- Support director with marketing-related projects.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.