The Community Convener is responsible for organizing diverse communities for the purpose of civic and civil dialogue, in partnership with the Free Library of Philadelphia and WHYY Media Labs. The Community Convener, which reports to the Managing Editor for Engagement, will often be responsible for booking panelists, curating film, and facilitating Community Conversations.
The job requires prior community organizing experience, excellent time management and active listening skills, strong community ties, proven success as an event moderator/host, working knowledge of the Philadelphia region, and a deep commitment to amplifying community voices.
The position regularly collaborates with the VP for News and Civic Dialogue, the Education Director, the Managing Editor for Engagement, the Director of Programming and Production, and Media Lab teachers and students to produce events and experiences – such as film screenings and panel discussions – that connects diverse communities to each other and to WHYY.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Curate WHYY video content to aid and inform Community Conversations.
- Convene and facilitate Community Conversations among diverse households and populations throughout the Philadelphia region.
- Form and maintain collaborative relationships with WHYY Media Lab instructors and students and other departments at WHYY, as well as external partners, including the Free Library of Philadelphia’s community engagement personnel and librarians.
- Identify and cultivate community voices and recruit them when appropriate for Community Conversations.
- Regularly solicit Community Contributions (Essays & Op-Eds) from individuals and families that you connect with.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of one to three (1-3) years' experience in community organizing, public programming and facilitating, or youth development preferred. Demonstrated success as a community event producer/facilitator. Prior experience working in public media not necessary.
Technical Skills: proficient in Microsoft Office and basic video and audio skill preferred but nothing required.
Please submit an online application via link below...