WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
The digital content producer works alongside both the WHYY News digital and radio staffs to write, edit and produce content for both platforms. The digital content producer distributes content across digital platforms to connect our audience with news and information.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce, write and edit content that meets needs of targeted audiences for digital platforms
- Identify top trending stories of the day and determine how to maximize for audience
- Edit and publish stories for both radio and web.
- Produce audio/video/photo and text-based stories from wire copy, social media, staff feeds, original reporting, and network feeds.
- Take feeds from the field and develop packages on tight deadlines that might include aggregated news, social media, graphics and photos, and audio.
- Optimize content for user experience across digital platforms
- Create and/or optimize content for newsletters
- Produce original news stories as assigned and other news content that supports WHYY’s daily journalism coverage and special projects
- Participate in assignment and decision-making process and react to needs of the news cycle to prepare content for digital platforms
- Monitor AP, PBS, NPR and other outlets for relevant stories
- Support content sharing with partners.
- The regularly scheduled shift will be a weekend shift.
- Available to work nights and weekends as needed per the news cycle, as well as assigned holidays per the overall newsroom scheduling processes
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related fields of study.
Experience: At least three years’ experience on a professional level producing multimedia content for distribution. Must demonstrate news judgment and ability to write for the website, social media platforms and radio on tight deadlines. Must be attuned to maximizing user experience across platforms and engagement of diverse audiences. Must have demonstrated the ability to work both alone and collaboratively with a team. Demonstrated understanding for how content and distribution strategies may be developed to connect with diverse audiences is a must.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in a web-production platform like WordPress preferred. Ability to use audio editing software like Pro Tools, Hindenburg or Adobe Audition is required. Must be facile with both the technology of web and radio production and must be able to work with technical staff to further develop the website, identify best practices, and problem-solve. Photoshop, Google Docs, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook expertise is required.
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.