About the Role
This position is responsible for applying graphic design skills effectively in branding WHYY through all available multi-media outlets. This position is also responsible for creating graphic designs and animations for TV and other multimedia uses that will reflect the WHYY branding standards, marketing objectives and production requirements.
WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with all Marketing team members on development of WHYY promotion and branding campaigns, including creative strategy and messaging.
- Implement promotional messaging through design of video, print, and web materials for all WHYY internal media outlets.
- Collaborate with team members on development of WHYY promotion and branding external ad campaigns, including creative strategy and messaging.
- Advise creative staff on current trends in technology and design.
- Organize and execute projects from concept through production.
- Work with outside vendors, manage project workflow and costs
- Collaborate with producers and other staff to meet graphic needs of WHYY video content that fits WHYY branding and priorities.
- Maintain appropriate jobs, project files, and maintain computer equipment.
- Maintain the WHYY brand.
- Maintain self-development by staying on top of current trends in technology and design.
- Great work ethic; maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with interns, freelance designers and agencies as needed
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or trade school in graphic design or a related field.
Experience: Two years of graphic design experience in an in-house design department; demonstrated skills in design for print and broadcast.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite design tools and Microsoft Office suite. Knowledge and experience of printing practices and digital publishing. Proficiency in AfterEffects, and PowerPoint is a plus; proficiency in Mac-based systems is preferred.
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.