WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
The Production Manager oversees all aspects of video production projects from budgeting through development, production and distribution. This position works closely with the department to provide production management and creative support, ensuring deadlines, budgets and deliverables are met.
The person holding the position must use their knowledge of production to create, monitor and adjust plans. The position proactively anticipates potential technical resource and/or budgetary conflicts and problem solves with the Director of Programming and the Chief Content Officer.
The manager functions as a key liaison between the production division and finance, engineering, restricted grants, marketing & communications, legal and other relevant departments, ensuring cross-departmental communication and helping to maintain the most optimal, comprehensive production plan.
This position will work on grant funded production projects, ensuring effective project and financial management to meet deliverables and funder requirements, working closely with the Corporate and Foundation relations team.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with stakeholders to build project budgets based on WHYY’s overall production schedule, financial objectives, personnel and engineering capacity and help to stay within budget constraints.
- Manage workflow and program delivery for all video content meeting production and broadcast deadlines.
- Participate in series meetings, tracking production details and working closely with Director of Programming on ensuring deadlines are met to align with broadcast and digital premieres.
- Evaluate spending projections, reporting to Chief Content Officer significant potential variances, along with providing required reports and documents to the Finance team.
- Work with Media Technology Manager on technician scheduling for productions, including crew and editing assignments, and media ingesting.
- Manage grant funded production projects, working to ensure grant requirements are met, and coordinating with other key stakeholders.
- Oversee production delivery of national presentation and local acquisitions.
- Provide creative support for local productions, including graphics, titles, descriptions, images, and other asset creation.
- Manage the production department interns. Screen intern applicants, coordinate assignments, and supervise overall program/progress.
- Coordinate award submissions. Provide required information for selected award entries and/or materials (includes information such as clips, episode and segment selection, program descriptions, credits, contact info.)
- Process production departmental invoices.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: College degree or previous experience in a related field is preferred.
Experience: Two to three years of management experience preferred, with at least 1-2 years video production experience.
Technical Skills: Must be technologically savvy, with fluent use of software systems including Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, along with After Effects and the ability to use content management systems and software tools.
*Cover letter is required to be considered for the role. This is an on-site role.
*This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.