WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About the Role
The Programming Associate assists the Director of Programming and Production on programming content for broadcast and online platforms. This position will screen content for broadcast consideration and assist with building partnerships in the field. They will provide analysis on program performance based on viewership and ensure program information is accurate for audiences.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Screen programs for possible local and national presentations. Assist with contract/acquisition process if accepted for broadcast. Once confirmed, work with Production Manager on delivery of programs, including reviewing final content prior to broadcast.
- Preview national content from PBS, APT and NETA as needed for broadcast appropriateness.
- Check distribution websites for program information - content changes, rights updates, and other programming data in support of accurate scheduling.
- Send notifications to listing services of any schedule changes. Check Nielsen's eNames daily to ensure WHYY schedules are accurate.
- Program non-pledge dayparts of WHYY's secondary channel, Y2.
- Assist with building and maintain relationships with independent filmmakers, community media organizations and film schools to deepen WHYY's local and regional content relationships.
- Work with Director of Programming & Production to regularly reviewing television ratings. Assist with research and analysis of reach of content into different demographics and characteristics Creating weekly ratings report for key stakeholders. Process one-off ratings requests.
- Create program offers for local productions and acquisitions. Work with Traffic Manager in management of local broadcast program records in traffic software, ProTrack. Enter and/or update descriptions and other metadata in Protrack for all local programs. Learn ProTrack system to support Traffic team as needed.
- Coordinate with the Traffic team and Promo Producers in scheduling of content during program breaks. Track all short form content offered through national distributors, identifying where placement of such content can support audience flow and engagement.
- Work with Member Services and Major Donors to answer viewer questions about programs, and proactively address possible flaggable content or issues that may impact viewers.
- Work with external partners on programming WHYY produced content for curated platforms, such at The Hill at Whitemarsh
- Process programming departmental invoices.
- Maintains a regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: College degree or previous experience in a related field is preferred.
Experience: One to three years experience working in a media or related organization.
Technical Skills: Must be technologically savvy, with fluent use of software systems including Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, and the ability to use content management systems and software tools.
Cover letter is required to be considered for the role. This is an on-site role.
*All WHYY employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination. Proof will be required upon hiring.