WJCT has embarked on a plan to become one of the most dynamic mid-sized non-profit media organizations in the industry.
Located in the city of Jacksonville, Florida, WJCT, Inc. owns and operates a PBS-affiliated television station (along with four other digital television services), and an FM NPR-member radio station (along with three other HD radio services and a “Radio Reading Service” for the sight-impaired) which serve the local market of NE Florida. As the founder of the Digital Convergence Alliance and the owner of JCT Services, WJCT also provides technical and master-control services for stations across the country in markets such as Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, and Milwaukee – a total of 18 million homes.
Now, through a significant expansion of its digital journalism platforms, growth in its music services (including a new live music series and other offerings), and pioneering new digital marketing initiatives, WJCT is fast becoming a leader in evolving the business model for non-profit media.
We are looking for a business development leader that can help us nurture the seeds we have planted into thriving lines of business so that we can deliver our vision of a modern media organization operating in the public interest. That person will:
- Have a range of business skills and a desire to apply them in a non-profit setting.
- Be comfortable rolling up their sleeves and doing work at all levels as required
- Work well with people and lead by example
- Be analytical and evidence-based in their decision making
We envision our business development leader getting involved in many aspects of our business and operations, including corporate media sales (underwriting), direct marketing and membership, event sales and management, and others. The position will report to the SVP of Development and the CEO. This is an opportunity to help shape the future of non-profit media in one of the country’s fastest-growing cities, cited as one of the top five destinations for Millennials and as a top tech talent “hot spot.”
- Industry analysis and evaluation of opportunities;
- Development of business plans and financial models for new or expanding lines of business;
- Ongoing financial management of new business programs as they are rolled out and fully implemented;
- Key contact for new business partners;
- Development and execution of marketing plans; work with membership team to oversee the roll-out of new subscription services;
- Evaluation of corporate sales market and development of strategies for revenue growth;
- Oversee new sales programs and strategies.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5 years minimum business experience with experience in media preferred;
- Experience in business development, including the roll-out of new products;
- Financial modeling proficiency;
- An ability to work in a collaborative team environment, while also displaying individual initiative;
- Strong communications, public speaking and presentation skills;
- Negotiation skills that exhibit an ability to find common ground and earn trust by exhibiting a tactful and genuine demeanor;
- Strong project management skills with a proven ability to set goals, establish timelines, manage risk, create and adhere to budgets, delegate and manage tasks or inter-organizational teams;
- An affinity for the mission of public media;
- A drive to play a significant role in moving WJCT further toward its goal of innovation in the business model for media companies serving the public interest.
If you would like to become a part of this dynamic team, we would love to receive your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
WJCT is a drug-free workplace committed to open access and diversity M/F/V/D