Position: Newsletter Writer/Engagement Editor
Reports to: Editorial Director
Position overview and background
Jacksonville Today, a digital news platform from WJCT Public Media, seeks a journalist to head up the local newsletter for Northeast Florida. Here’s what our subscribers say: “Thank you so much for this opportunity to focus on our hometown news. It’s a terrific way to keep our eyes on what affects us daily and not be so distracted by what doesn’t!” Readers should feel like they know everything they need to know about local events, politics, and cultural happenings to start their day.
The ideal candidate is an insatiable local newshound (you probably can’t go more than five hours without checking Twitter) who relishes the chance to speak directly with thousands of eager readers each morning.
Launched in October 2021 and growing quickly, the newsletter is a key product in WJCT’s plan to significantly expand innovative journalism in our regional market. It is also part of our digital strategy to engage our audience and ultimately convert them into supporters of their local public media organization.
The Newsletter Editor/Engagement Editor will also help increase audience engagement beyond the newsletter, through tools such as Hearken. Working with the Editorial Director and others, the Newsletter Editor/Engagement Editor will be responsible for day-to-day management of these initiatives.
- Stay on top of the news — Write and assemble the Jacksonville Today newsletter Sunday through Thursday for M-F distribution, curating local and state news stories from many sources
- Get the story out (and looking good) — Publish newsletters in Mailchimp and, along with our Creative Director and Digital Director, ensure accessibility and other design standards are upheld. Also, publish Jacksonville Today columns and special features on jaxtoday.org using the WordPress CMS
- Flex your reporting muscles — Contribute occasional original reporting for the Jacksonville Today newsletter and web audience
- Connect with readers — Beyond direct callouts in the newsletter, use engagement tools such as Google forms; Hearken; the GroundSource text messaging service; and social media to solicit audience questions and feedback to guide editorial strategy
- Adjust as needed — Work with members of the digital, news and membership teams to track key performance metrics and adjust editorial and distribution plans accordingly
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent news judgment
- Excellent writing skills: strong grasp of grammar, punctuation, and AP style
- A strong “voice”: the ability to meld personal insights and even humor with the professional tone of Jacksonville Today
- Self-starter who thrives on a nightly deadline (we edit at night to ensure the freshest stories in our 6 a.m. newsletter)
- Preferred: Proficiency in Mailchimp, WordPress and social media like Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, etc.
- Preferred: Deep knowledge of Northeast Florida dynamics, politics, and geography
- Bonus: Demonstrated track record of growing a newsletter subscriber base
For immediate consideration, please forward a copy of your most recent resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org