TITLE: NEWS REPORTER
FLSA STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT
The multi-platform reporter is responsible for covering general news in the Jacksonville area. The ideal candidate is adept at quickly filing short-form spots and cuts for newscasts, as well as reporting longer radio features. Must be an effective and imaginative storyteller with a keen sense of how to shape content to suit different audiences – on air via local newscasts, live two-ways, feature stories, etc. and online via WJCT.org and on social media.
WJCT News is a national award-winning team that is growing to cover more news and reach new audiences. Come report on a dynamic two-state region with quickly changing demographics, a complex political and social landscape, and significant environmental issues.
OTHER REPORTERS, PRODUCERS, HOSTS, INTERNS
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: ELECTED OFFICIALS, NEWS MAKERS, COMMUNITY LEADER
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Report and write spot news for hourly radio newscasts;
- Produce/mix down stories for air;
- Shoot photos to accompany stories on WJCT.org, as needed;
- Work with Digital Content Editor to present stories online;
- Potentially fill in for “Morning Edition” or “All Things Considered” hosts as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Skills and Experience/Licenses):
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcasting/Emerging Media, Journalism, Multimedia Journalism or related field.
- Training related to the operation of broadcast equipment.
Essential Skills and Experience
- 2-plus years reporting news for print, web, radio or TV;
- Impeccable research, writing and reporting skills.
- Ability to conduct and record interviews in studio, remotely, or on location.
- Rock solid journalistic ethics;
- Media agility, or the ability to shift comfortably between writing radio scripts and online news articles.
- Experience with content management systems (ideally WordPress).
- Ability to work collaboratively with other reporters, editors, and producers.
- Willingness to try new storytelling methods and adapt to changing platforms and audience needs;
- Self-directed, can work unsupervised on deadline;
- Ability to pitch WJCT to the community on air during fundraising pledge drives.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Live on-air hosting experience a plus;
- Mastery of audio gathering, editing, mixing and vocal performance;
- Ability to write “sticky” headlines that quickly encapsulate a story
- Knowledge of Northeast Florida’s politics and major issues ;
- Knowledge of Florida politics;
- Knowledge of broadcast writing/public radio-style of reporting and presentation;
- Experience with multimedia production, including still and video photography
License or Certification
- Valid Florida driver’s license &/or the ability to obtain one within one month of employment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is minimally exposed to weather conditions and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Office equipment (computer, telephone, printer, etc.)
- Digital camera
- Field recording equipment (shotgun microphone and digital recorder)
- Adobe Audition editing
For immediate consideration, please send a resume and a coversheet to:
Rolanda Colbert, HR Director
*No phone calls please