WKMS in Murray, KY is seeking a News Director. We're a small shop that punches above its weight. WKMS is currently among the current cohort of PRX's Project Catapult stations to develop a podcast for a national audience. The newsroom is a perennial winner of state and national journalism awards from PRNDI (now PMJA), SPJ and the Associated Press. The newsroom is a foundational partner with the Kentucky Public Radio Network and the Ohio Valley ReSource journalism collaborative. The station will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary. This positions is central to the continued success of WKMS. Qualified applicants will have at least two years of journalism experiences and a bachelor's degree in any field.
Description and Duties
Manage operations of the WKMS news department on air and online. Produce and host programs. Produces in-depth feature news. Provide editorial leadership. Plans and supervises production of WKMS news product. Trains WKMS student news interns.
• Manage news flow to air in coordination with all appropriate personnel, including all emergency coverage, including weather, natural disasters and other.
• Coordinate management and editorial issues with Program Director and Station Manager as necessary.
• Create, perform, and engineer local breaks within NPR news magazines; produce automation breaks.
• Produce public radio style regional news programs, feature reports, and readers that meet the quality, ethical and editorial standards of national and international news programming.
• Supervise management of regional news on wkms.org and social media.
• Submit and supervise downloading and scheduling news from the Kentucky Public Radio news exchange.
• Assist in on-air fundraising and station-wide activities as needed.
• Produce other audio as required including promos/editing volunteer productions, etc.