Position Summary: We are looking for a passionate storyteller with experience editing in multiple platforms and excellent news judgment. The digital editor is in charge of curating the WLRN home page and other digital platforms, as well as working day-to-day with reporters and producers to ensure top-quality digital content comes out of the newsroom. The ideal candidate is an innovator who can pitch and manage simultaneous editorial projects and feed the daily beast. Position reports to Digital Director. Schedule: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday or as job demands.
- Inspires and helps reporters and producers to create multimedia for their stories, and edits copy for publication on WLRN.org
- Curates WLRN's homepage and sections of the website
- Curates content for WLRN's app and newsletters
- Ensures headlines and other digital copy are SEO-friendly
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas and produces stories on deadline
- Assists in audience engagement efforts via social media, other digital platforms, and in-person events
- Works with station leadership to increase WLRN’s digital audience and reach of our content
- Works with editors, reporters, anchors and producers to continuously innovate on WLRN’s digital -- and analog -- platforms
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- At least five years experience in journalism
- Desire to innovate, create and think big
- Strong editorial judgment
- Skilled writer and copy editor
- Familiarity with best practices in SEO
- Familiarity with digital platforms and their specific content needs and uses
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video, and create interactive graphics
- Familiarity with Adobe programs, especially Photoshop, Premiere and Audition (or similar)
- Basic HTML
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Data visualization chops
- Familiarity with public media sensibilities
- Experience in digital public media
- Familiarity with or passion for the region
- Language: Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese
- Adobe Illustrator
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
How to apply:
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak to your qualifications for the position.
Email all materials to email@example.com and include “Digital News Editor” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.