WMFE seeks an experienced news reporter to examine and report on the issues facing The Villages, Ocala and surrounding counties served by WMFV 89.5. This position serves as a general assignment reporter producing network-quality long-form news and feature stories, and spots on a variety of local topics. Online and social media skills are a must. Reporter will contribute website content as well as produce on-air stories. This position will also appear as a guest on our other programming.
This is a work from home position. The incumbent must work independently to report and produce radio works with minimal daily supervision. The reporter will be supplied with and trained on recording equipment and must be able to provide a suitable recording location to maintain WMFE/WMFV’s quality standards. The Reporter is expected to attended station events within the WMFV coverage area and attend weekly meetings at WMFE’s headquarters in Orlando in person.
- Produce news features and daily news spots.
- General assignment reporting.
- Provide live reporting as needed.
- Attend and participate in daily news department meetings remotely.
- Research current and future story ideas.
- Maintain web presence with program information and archived audio.
- Participate in special events coverage.
- Participate in radio pledge drives.
- Write web versions of stories and post audio online.
- Manage special projects as assigned.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across the listening area.
- Stay current on technology, ethics and law as it relates to news coverage.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
- Maintain familiarity with, and adhere to, all WMFE policies; particularly the policies of Values and Expectations, Ethics, Electronic Media, Computers and Software, Materials and Talent Release, and Privacy.
- Completion of responsibilities within deadline with a minimum of supervision.
- Consistent dependability in attendance and effective utilization of time.
- Contribute to and help to maintain a climate of service excellence at WMFE.
- Protect the company physical and intangible property through appropriate care, custody, filing, backups, security, and similar procedures as directed.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in dealing with staff and public
- Excellent organizational skills and creative radio production. Must be able to meet deadlines and deal effectively with multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated news judgment and initiative in developing sources to produce original news coverage.
- Speak, read and write in on-air conversational broadcast style.
- Effectively communicate in both pre-recorded reporting and live reporting or program hosting.
- Proficient and efficient usage of equipment and software provided to complete job responsibilities.
- Familiarity and competence with WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Tumblr, Reddit and other social media and digital publishing platforms
- Familiarity with digital audio editing software such as Adobe Audition.
- Keep up with industry trends, technology and software
- Ability to consistently work well with others at all levels of experience
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum three years reporting and/or producing experience.
- Significant contacts within the political, economic and civic communities within the WMFV coverage area a plus.
- Possess a valid Florida Driver License, proof of personal auto insurance that is acceptable to WMFE’s insurance provider, and a driving record that is acceptable to WMFE’s insurance provider
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Successfully pass a criminal and credit background check
- 40 hours per week, generally Monday – Friday
- Some nights and weekends to accommodate special coverage and/or programming.