4 Global View
Troy NY 12180
Title: Broadcast Engineer
Department: Information Technology/Engineering Dept
Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Assistant Chief Engineer
Broadcast Engineer Position
WMHT Educational Telecommunications is seeking an experienced broadcast maintenance engineer to participate in the installation, maintenance and repair of TV/radio studio, transmitting, and ancillary equipment, in order to maintain superior service in all coverage areas and on all platforms, while complying with FCC technical requirements. The broadcast engineer also will assist with technical support and maintenance of broadcast information systems in use within the organization and assist with the oversight of building operations. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, resourceful, self-starter, with strong time management and critical thinking skills.
Reporting to the Assistant Chief Engineer, this position will allocate time between technical engineering, production engineering and broadcast IT support functions. The broadcast maintenance engineer will work closely with the Director of Technology and the Assistant Chief Engineer in maintenance, installation and repair of the broadcast, production and RF systems for the engineering department/facility. The broadcast maintenance engineer will operate studio and remote broadcast equipment in production, live broadcast and on air settings.
This position will assist the Director of Technology and the Assistant Chief Engineer in maintenance of broadcast computers, end user support and broadcast IT infrastructure as related to the broadcast systems. As the primary backup to the Engineer, the broadcast maintenance engineer must be prepared to be on-call to address technical and production demands on short notice. This position must diagnose and resolve technical, operational and production issues quickly and calmly, and should have the patience to communicate with a variety of interdisciplinary teams and users with varying levels of experience.
The nature of our business, and of this position, is 24/7.
Essential Job Duties:
Maintain and repair technical equipment and computer-based systems associated with the operation of WMHT-TV/FM and WRHV-FM, WEXT-FM and associated translator facilities to broadcast engineering standards.
- Ability to understand the operation of the WMHT broadcast air-chain.
- This position requires an “on-call” status when emergencies or breakdown of critical equipment occurs to the operation
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings to effectively install coax, wiring, and cabling in addition to physical equipment, and utilize such drawings to troubleshoot problems during and after installation.
- Troubleshoot and repair electronic and mechanical equipment that is required for the operation of our facilities.
- Understand the signal flow of analog and digital video, audio, and RF signals through our complex production and broadcast systems in order to assist operations and production staff.
- Work with the engineering staff to ensure proper equipment operation and provide optimum quality, while adhering to all FCC and FAA rules and regulations.
- Diagnose problems using standard practices and test equipment including, but not limited to, audio monitors, waveform and vectorscope, oscilloscope, and spectrum analyzer.
- Able to identify and prioritize the repair and replacement of equipment.
- Work closely with the other departments in the maintenance and operation of their associated equipment.
- Have in-depth knowledge of computer networking, cabling, software installation, and repairs.
- Must be able to work alone and unsupervised when necessary.
- Assist our outsourced IT management company in the daily end-user issues that arise.
- Must have a service-orientated attitude towards staff and co-workers.
- Install and maintain update of various software and hardware packages in computer-based equipment.
- Help maintain the security and maintenance of facilities and systems as assigned by the Director of Technology.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in electronics technology or related field, or equivalent experience in operations or maintenance at a broadcast station.
- FCC General Radio Telephone License and/or equivalent SBE Certification preferred.
- Minimum of three years technical experience working at a broadcast station, digital media outlet or related field.
- Working knowledge of basic electronics theory and principles and the ability to read diagrams and schematics.
- Strong electronics troubleshooting and audio background.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS:
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations, telecommunication laws related to broadcast station operation and compliance.
- IT skills including workstation and server troubleshooting and repair and local area networking.
- Multimedia skills, including experience in technical setup for webcasting and video conferencing.
- Experience working with antenna systems, broadcast transmitters, STL, audio over IP console and routing systems, voice over IP telephone systems, audio processing and remote control systems.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Repetitive Motions: Frequently and regularly using the wrists, hands and fingers.
- Physical: Ability to travel. Must have the ability to lift 50lbs., climb ladders and use common power tools.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or mail to:
4 Global View
Troy, NY 12180
WMHT Educational Telecommunications is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F. Qualified veterans, women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.