WPSU Penn State is seeking an Assistant Director of Programming & Broadcast Operations to support the Director in providing oversight for the broadcast and media distribution operations of WPSU, in assisting with content distribution across four broadcast channels, three FM channels, streaming and digital services, and serving as a member of the leadership team. WPSU houses the region’s National Public Radio (NPR) and Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) stations and develops programming and education initiatives to raise awareness of important social issues.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to assisting the Director to:
● Oversee the day-to-day broadcast and media distribution operations
● Ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, broadcast industry standards, university policies, and safety guidelines
● Oversee and manage program development and production, broadcast engineering and operations, regulatory compliance and reporting
● Manage the FM radio station
● Ensure that public radio and television stations acquire, produce and distribute diverse programming content
● Negotiate contracts for acquisition and distribution of program content
● Provide direct supervision to the broadcast operations and programming staff, the Digital Content Specialist as well as oversight of the news team
● Oversee, develop and administer annual operating budgets
This position requires:
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Extensive knowledge of broadcast industry standards, university policies, and federal and state laws and regulations
● Ability to multitask and produce results while adhering to multiple deadlines
● Knowledge of production practices and trends
● Proven track record of developing and maintaining relationships and strategic partnerships
● Knowledge of the public media environment is a plus
Penn State is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Education and Experience:
Position typically requires a bachelor’s degree or higher plus five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Information: Applications should include cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
This position offers a flexible work arrangement that combines remote and on-campus work. Questions related to flexible work should be directed to the hiring manager during the interview process.
K (STFF)-$50,712 - $106,488
Apply online at wpsu.org