WPSU, Central Pennsylvania’s Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR) affiliate, is looking for a highly motivated Broadcast Engineering Manager to join our team. As part of Penn State University, WPSU reaches 1.9 million viewers and listeners across Central Pennsylvania, bringing quality educational and entertainment content into their homes.
The Broadcast Engineering Manager role is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day, near-term and long-term technical operation of WPSU’s broadcast and production infrastructure. The position leads the broadcast engineering team in designing, installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting complex systems and is responsible for the effective management of the technology and facilities at University Park as well as ten remote sites across Central and Northern Pennsylvania.
This position will be leading a team of technical staff tasked with the modernization of WPSU’s broadcast and production infrastructure and will be responsible for ensuring the consistent operational reliability of over a dozen individual services.
- System design and documentation
- Developing standard operating procedures
- Ensuring regulatory compliance and safety
- Working across units within WPSU and across the University to meet the needs of various stakeholders
- Quickly responding during emergencies and service outages
Preferred skills and experience:
- Well versed in information technology best practices and knowledge in the areas of electrical, mechanical, and RF (radio frequency) operations as they relate to television and radio broadcasting and production
- Experience in creating meaningful technical and process documentation
- The ability to use technical communication tools such as drafting software is highly desired
- Excellent leadership and analytical capabilities
- The ability to manage complex projects is a key to success in this role
- The ability to effectively communicate to supervisors, subordinates, vendors, regulatory entities, and the public
Typical Education and Experience
This position typically requires a Bachelor's Degree or higher and 3+ years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties. A valid driver’s license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.