WTJU Radio at the University of Virginia (UVA) seeks applications for an Audio Producer. WTJU extends UVA’s educational mission and brings people together through excellent music and conversation. It operates WTJU community radio at 91.1 FM, WXTJ student radio 100.1 FM, the Virginia Audio Collective, and a raft of education & engagement programs.
WTJU is currently hiring a full-time Producer to lead the relaunch and manage production of science-based podcast Circle of Willis. This new position is an exciting opportunity for a skilled and driven audio professional to shape and grow an educational podcast and contribute to the evolution of community media in Virginia.
Audio Producer will be expected to:
- Work closely with the host and creator of Circle of Willis
- Co-create a vision for its relaunch
- Oversee production
- Coordinate interviews; recruit, oversee, and train a team of student interns from UVA’s Brown College
- Manage editing and post-production; coordinate promotions, engagement, and social media
- Based at UVA’s community radio station, WTJU 91.1 FM, the Producer will also support WTJU’s podcast collective and on-air & off-air WTJU initiatives
Qualified candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of experience creating compelling radio or podcast work is required
- Self-starter with time management and organizational skills
- Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication in daily interactions
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Experience with Adobe Audition or comparable audio software
- Familiarity with social media platforms and skills in office software are important
- Experience teaching and/or leading volunteers
- Experience representing an organization or brand on social media platforms
- Knowledge of science, science journalism, and/or public scholarship
This full-time position comes with UVA’s package of full-time benefits. Hours are somewhat flexible but also require flexibility of the hired candidate. Partial telecommuting may be an option, but this is not a fully work-from-home position. Parking is free at WTJU’s studios.
This position will remain open until filled, and applications will be reviewed starting on June 20.
Please apply through University of Virginia's Workday system. Complete an application online with the following:
- Links to 1-2 audio pieces that you have produced that demonstrate your experience as it relates to this opportunity
- Answers to the following two questions:
- Tell us about a podcast or radio show that you either helped create or helped grow to the next level. How did you do it? What lessons did you learn?
- Tell us about your experience working with students or novice producers? How do you help green producers gain skills while also ensuring that the final product is top quality?
- Contact information for 3 References - name, email, phone