WWNO in New Orleans, along with partner station WRKF in Baton Rouge, is seeking a Digital News Editor to join its regional newsroom and oversee its multi-platform coverage. This position will also be charged with leading the digital effort for the newsroom’s awarding-winning Coastal Desk.
The Digital News Editor is charged with the day-to-day management and workflow of written content for the WWNO and WRKF websites. The position will also lead the regional newsroom’s audience engagement strategy and oversee its social media accounts for both stations. Finally, the Digital News Editor will help coordinate digital coverage for special projects, including potential podcasts, investigative series and collaborations with other media outlets. This position will manage the overall digital presentation for both stations.
This is an exciting time to join the WWNO/WRKF regional newsroom, which recently integrated to combine the journalism efforts of about ten reporters and hosts in two different markets. This person will have a unique opportunity to shape the digital strategy for this collaborative newsroom initiative.
As a Digital News Director, you’ll primarily report to the Regional News Director and work alongside the reporters on the Coastal Desk, as well as other journalists in the regional newsroom. This position can be based in either Baton Rouge or New Orleans.
Responsibilities for Digital News Editor include:
- Copy edits online news content and manages the daily editorial workflow in the CMS.
- Manages the online presentation of news stories on the WWNO and WRKF websites.
- Oversee newsletter strategy and digital presentation for station events.
- Writes and reports original content when opportunities arise.
- Coordinates online content from the NPR Digital Platform.
- Lead newsroom and station efforts on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other emerging platforms.
- Oversee digital content for the Coastal Desk, a multi-person unit dedicated to covering coastal erosion in Southern Louisiana.
- Track and analyze all relevant website metrics using NPR Digital Service Analytics and other tools, and help identify high engagement content.
- Troubleshoots digital issues.
- Oversee digital presentation for other station events and other activities.
- Oversee production and editorial of news email newsletters
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Fluency in CM, with Corepublisher a plus
- Copyediting skills
- Knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure reach and impact
- Experience working across platforms
- Experience building data visualizations
- Experience in photo/video
- Familiarity with AP style guidelines
Position open till filled - for first review, submit by 10/28/19
We offer attractive, competitive compensation and benefits including, medical, vision and dental coverage, Life and LTD, paid vacation, personal and sick time.
WRKF is an equal opportunity employer
Email materials to email@example.com with subject line Digital News Editor Search
Include Cover Letter, Resume, and Links to at least three digital editing/content examples.
No calls please.