Do you have experience helping radio journalists grow into confident web writers? Do you read news stories and fantasize about having the power to make them better? Do you like to experiment and push boundaries?
Come join us in the Gulf States Newsroom!
The Gulf States Newsroom is an exciting new partnership between public radio stations in Louisiana (WWNO and WRKF), Alabama (WBHM), and Mississippi (MPB-Mississippi Public Broadcasting) and NPR. We’re working together as a regional newsroom to plan coverage, share resources and add reporting power in a story-rich region where too many local news outlets have disappeared.
We’re looking for a digital editor to develop a strategy for producing and amplifying online storytelling as we work to reshape the public media landscape in this vital region.
This position is based at WWNO in New Orleans and reports to the managing editor of the Gulf States Newsroom. S/he will work with regional beat reporters and station news directors and reporters to sharpen online storytelling and develop a forward-looking approach to digital news. We’re looking for someone with a vision for how digital news can best serve this three-state region and engage new audiences. This editor will also have the opportunity to create a vision for new digital products we pursue down the road.
- Develop a digital strategy for how we best share stories across stations in the collaborative.
- Under the guidance of the managing editor, partner with regional reporters and station reporters to develop in-depth enterprise stories that have regional or national implications
- Work with managing editor and station news directors to assign, budget and edit stories
- Work with staff at each station to sharpen digital writing skills and lead training sessions on things like headline writing
- Develop a social media strategy to boost the reach of stories
- Develop a system to track story analytics across stations
- Ensure that all content complies with NPR’s editorial standards
- Strong news judgment
- At least 5 years of journalism experience
- A proven track record of editing original, enterprise work
- A collaborative spirit, excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously and changing priorities/conditions
- A discerning eye for copy editing and knowledge of AP style
- A demonstrated ability to develop and guide stories that reflect the full experience of diverse communities
- Ability to include audience and community engagement into the fabric of the story process
- Familiarity with the public media system
- Experience tracking story metrics
- Data visualization experience
- Experience editing or reporting in the Gulf States region
- Ability to speak a language besides English
Open until filled, with first review on March 22, 2021
To apply click on this link: