POSITION: Housing and neighborhoods reporter/producer
DIVISION: News (radio, television, print, digital)
REPORTS TO: WXXI News Director (with dotted line to executive editor)
CLASSIFICATION: Full time/exempt
Can you move easily between the toughest city streets and the halls of power? Can you knock on doors in urban, suburban or rural neighborhoods, then sit down for an interview with a city commissioner or town zoning board member?
Then this is the job for you.
We're looking for a reporter/producer who wants to focus on one of life's biggest necessities: housing. From the wild real estate market to the challenge of finding affordable housing to the scourge of slumlords, there's no shortage of stories on this beat.
We also want someone who understands the dynamics of a neighborhood and can identify issues that resonate with its residents.
- Report and write news and feature stories, including spot and enterprise news that inform, entertain, and elevate public discourse on issues of import to the greater Rochester region.
- Actively cultivate sources throughout the community, taking special care to include under-represented and diverse voices.
- Create and post visual, text, audio and social media content for multimedia news distribution channels.
- Collaborate with news director, executive editor and colleagues to share content and identify joint projects.
- When appropriate, produce video clips and/or produced video packages for WXXI’s television news and public affairs programming, as well as for online and on-demand distribution. That work may also include helping with production and development of podcasts.
- Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as citizen engagement initiatives, election night coverage, and major breaking news events.
- Participate in station membership drives and various station activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum of five years of journalism experience, preferably in a public broadcasting setting
- Strong writing and verbal skills essential
- Digital audio production experience
- Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content on deadline
- Experience in digital editing and production, Internet, on-demand and new media
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects
- Valid driver’s license
WXXI is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition, gender identity or expression, carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.