WYPR 88.1 FM, Baltimore's NPR radio station, seeks a full-time Supervising Producer. In conjunction with the Midday Host and other members of the staff the Supervising Producer will plan and oversee the coordination of five, one-hour shows per week, and reconfigure content that can be re-aired when necessary. Some shows will spend the hour exploring one topic while other shows will be in a magazine format, in which two or three topics are included. There will also be special broadcasts, (i.e., live election coverage), and the coordination with outside vendors to produce live and pre-recorded in-person broadcasts.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Suggest and develop daily story ideas and work with the Host and WYPR’s Senior Management to imagine new and inventive ways to serve our listeners, and the community at large
- Write air-ready scripts, billboards and promos that are informative and imaginative.
- Oversee the booking of guests for interviews from a diverse pool of people and from a variety of backgrounds.
- In conjunction with the Host, respond to listener e-mails, letters and inquiries and assist when needed with answering phones, e-mails and social media comments during shows. Assist with background research on script, guests, and story ideas.
- Oversee Midday’s social media outreach and explore ways to engage listeners on a variety of platforms.
- Coordinate the work of a small staff and ensure that the technical aspects of the show and website are executed correctly and in a timely manner.
- At least four years of experience in journalism or broadcast production.
- Experience with the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast.
- Excellent writing skills, superb news judgment, great discernment and embracing the highest standards of journalism.
- Able to react quickly and steadily when breaking news requires a sudden pivot from something that had been previously planned.
- Able to coordinate the many details associated with the production of a daily news broadcast.
- Must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, detail oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Able to motivate other staff members and maintain high production values.
Candidates should apply at:
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Open until filled.
No phone calls, please