WTTW (Chicago PBS) is seeking an experienced, highly organized editor and web producer to oversee digital content creation and production for wttw.com/news. This is an afternoon/evening shift and includes one weekend day.
- Edit and fact-check articles written for the WTTW News website, including those reported by digital team and “Chicago Tonight” TV producers and correspondents.
- Ensure written copy is sharp, clear and readable and adheres to grammar rules and AP style.
- Produce visually compelling articles using a mix of storytelling elements such as video, text, graphics, interactive features and photography.
- Apply digital and social media best practices to engage audience, expand reach and drive traffic to website.
- Participate in story pitch meetings and assign stories on a variety of topics to reporters.
- Provide feedback and guidance to reporters on their written work and production techniques.
- Experiment and innovate while maintaining vision of brand in order to grow audience.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS: Candidate must have proven writing, editing and journalism skills, as well as a full understanding of journalistic ethics and procedure. Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus, both written and verbal. Keen interest in digital storytelling and local news required. The ideal candidate will have the ability to edit articles on a variety of topics, including local politics, arts and culture, criminal justice, science and education. Knowledge of Photoshop, basic HTML and open source content management systems is ideal. Demonstrated experience editing, fact-checking and producing news stories is key. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting daily deadlines. Strong news judgement required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Candidate has 3-5 years of professional experience working on digital products in a newsroom, plus a demonstrated ability to edit and produce news stories that engage and inspire readers. Candidate understands digital storytelling techniques and has strong knowledge of social media. Experience working effectively under minimal supervision is also desired.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
Please apply directly on WTTW's website: https://cho.tbe.taleo.net/cho02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=WWCI&cws=40&rid=184