Who We Are:
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
As the Accounts Payable Coordinator, you play a vital role in leading elements of American Public Media Group's cash disbursements cycle / internal control environment, providing general ledger support; all while providing excellent customer service to internal financial managers and external vendors.
Application deadline: December 10, 2018
- Provide accounting support for the cash disbursements cycle including accounts payable. Facilitate the electronic matching of purchase orders with invoices;
- Process accounts payable invoices in a timely manner with precision;
- Reconcile and match invoices to approved purchase orders in an integrated ERP environment;
- Utilize the ERP system to process transactions and improve cash flow; responsible for verifying proper vendor settings including best payment terms;
- Apply applicable policies and internal control standards to ensure all items processed: are properly authorized, include the required supporting documents, and are coded to the proper account and accounting period;
- Maintain W-9s files for all vendors. Verify accuracy of 1099 information for calendar year end reporting;
- Coordinate and provide guidance to employees and vendors on APMG cash disbursement policies and procedures including daily, month-end, and year-end processing;
- Support the continuous evaluation and maintenance of written cash disbursement policies; and respectfully monitor/enforce compliance of such policies escalate when appropriate;
- Control assigned recurring invoices including the analysis of certain leases and contracts, researching the history of these payments, and processing the invoices for payment.
General Ledger / Accounting:
- Manage general ledger transactions to avoid, and if need be, correct any misallocations;
- Ensure accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts; perform any necessary research and correcting journal entries;
- Prepare supporting audit work papers for assigned general ledger accounts on a monthly basis for review by the Accounts Payable Supervisor;
- Process all recurring, one-time and inter-company journal entries related to assigned companies.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Degree or GED equivalent
- Five or more years of experience in accounts payable / accounting position in a multiple company/location environment.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills. Ability to tactfully and respectfully enforce compliance with policies and procedures; and provide actionable communications to management when necessary;
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of large company ERP systems, including accounts payable, general ledger and purchasing modules; understand how these modules work together to support the cash disbursements cycle;
- Superior Customer Service. This position represents the Finance department internally and APMG externally to vendors. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, evaluation of customer satisfaction, and the ability to create and maintain effective vendor relationships;
- Internal Controls. Ability to apply policies, procedures, internal control standards while also providing excellent customer service;
- Quality Processing. Effectively manage high volume transactions with precision;
- Accounting Support. General knowledge of journal entry mechanics and accounting concepts;
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills;
- Quantitative Thinking. Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems;
- Commercial Awareness. Ability to identify opportunities for more effective processes, and financial benefits; address and /or alert management of matters with the potential to cause disruption or harm for the department or the organization.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- 2 - 4 year degree, ideally in accounting, bookkeeping, or related field;
- Ability to identify areas of potential operational and cash flow efficiencies;
- Concur Expense Corporate experience preferred;
- Lawson ERP modules: Accounts Payable, Invoice Matching, Requisition Self Service, and general ledger.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation;
- Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping;
- Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.