About this opportunity:
Podcasting is one of the fastest growing areas in media today, and as the Managing Director for APM Podcasts,you play a central role in shaping that opportunity at American Public Media. Since the early days of podcasting, American Public Media (APM) has been a leader in this space, and we are seeking a new leader to help us grow our leadership position in the industry. The APM Podcast team serves a diverse range of audiences and communities through its audience loved and award winning podcasts, including Terrible, Thanks for Asking, Too Beautiful to Live, Brains On!, The Hilarious World of Depression, The Splendid Table, and The Slowdown. In addition, it has more than half dozen podcasts in discussion or development, and it is committed to developing new shows to serve new audiences. APM Podcasts has an aggressive business plan to grow audience, expand the communities we serve, and grow our impact in the podcast industry, and to do so in a financially sustainable way. To do that, we are seeking a Managing Director of APM Podcasts who will oversee a range of content and business activities. This team will have flexibility to develop the practices it needs to succeed.
This role can be located in St. Paul, MN; Los Angeles, CA or New York, NY
This position will remain open until filled
- Lead a cross-organizational working group focused on podcasting including editorial teams within the unit and various embedded team members from various support units across the APM organization.
- Oversee the development of excellent podcasts that grow audience and engage new communities.
- Build a culture of editorial excellence, audience-focused community building and smart business growth in podcasting.
- Ensure that the unit's activities, as well as individual podcasts, are focused on achieving financial goals aligned with the unit's business plan.
- Nurture the development of new ideas and aggressively pursue smart acquisitions / partnerships.
- Ensure and develop the financial performance and operation of an entrepreneurial company, including developing secondary and derivative products.
- Represent podcasting and content development initiatives at industry meetings, conferences and with the press.
- Develop and manage the staff of the APM Podcast team.
- Continually refine and develop the APM Podcast unit's strategic and business plan to ensure it reflects the changes in the podcast industry.
- Oversee the team and budget of each podcast and managing them towards a profitable P&L statement, including Terrible, Thanks for Asking; Splendid Table; Brains On; Hilarious World of Depression; The Slowdown, as well as other and new programs in development.
- Advise and consult with other divisions of APMG on their podcasting plans to help ensure good cross-promotion and strategic opportunities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- Ten years of management experience.
- At least six years of demonstrated experience developing talent, creating an innovative team environment, and fostering high standard with an ability to teach, inspire and lead.
- At least five years of experience in media and the media industry.
- At least three years' strategic planning experience.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, implementing and independently managing multiple projects.
- Demonstrated track record of meeting financial goals and key business objectives.
- Experience producing content on multiple platforms including the web, events, and mobile devices.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-driven and audience-focused values.
- Leadership qualities of presence, confidence, judgment and integrity; high degree of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated experience in developing talent and fostering innovative teams.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new products and launch them.
- Demonstrated understanding of broadcasting (radio and TV, commercial and public), interactive media, publishing, direct marketing and emerging communication technologies.
- Vision for these media to be used for effective communications, audience development, public service and revenue growth.
- Distinguished track record in program production including developing producers, on-air talent, and external partnerships in public media arts, culture, entertainment and long form journalism.
- Strong people manager with experience supporting talent and developing leaders.
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to motivate staff and develop high performing teams; proven ability to nurture diversity.
- Proven strategic thinking, budget development, prioritization and management skills.
- Ability to critically interpret audience research.
- Creative problem solver; ability to work cross functionally to identify and realize deliverables required for growth.
- A strong team orientation and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with clients, agencies, staff, senior management peers and industry colleagues.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advance degree preferred.
- Strong audio production and management experienced highly preferred.
- Entrepreneurial experience preferred including work successful start-ups and growing new businesses.
- Knowledge and experience serving the public radio audience and leading programs and/or stations in the public radio system.
- Experience in fund raising for the mission and activities of public service media.
Reporting to This Position:
This is a growing role, and you will have the ability to hire several key positions to grow and expand APM Podcast unit, as well as help shape the organizational chart. Currently, the unit has the following positions reporting to the Managing Director:
- Director, Podcasting
- Managing Producer, The Splendid Table
- Senior Producer, Terrible, Thanks for Asking
- Sr. Editor for Podcasting
- Hosts (2) for Too Beautiful to Live
- Producers (2), New Podcast Development
- Project Manager
- (To be filled) Business Development Manager
- (To be filled) Program Director
These positions have a secondary reporting relationship to the Managing Director:
- Marketing Manager
- Director of Underwriting
- Membership Manager
- Technical Director
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.