About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs as This American Life, Wait,Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Obama and Making Oprah, and 16 Shots. WBEZ’s award-winning newsroom is growing in order to tackle the stories that matter most to our community. As an essential source of news and context, we are a powerful connector across lines of difference.
About The Role
We’re looking for a versatile digital news producer who knows what makes a good online news story, and can both produce the work of others and write original work of their own accurately, compellingly and on deadline. The ideal candidate doesn’t have to know our content management system but is someone who can learn and master it quickly. We’re looking for a true team player who wants to be a part of a dynamic, fun team that’s eager to try new things and achieve new heights.
This position requires someone who can elevate the digital experience visually (with photos and video) and on social media. Audio editing skills, while not required, is a big plus. If you have a passion for digital media, and know how to grow audience and deepen engagement, then we want you to come help make our site the best source for journalism in Chicago.
The digital news producer is a vital part of WBEZ’s newsroom, working to support WBEZ’s daily news coverage. This position is part of the news team that includes editors, reporters, and producers focusing on broadcast, digital and engagement work. This position is primarily focused on digital production, copy editing, managing social media channels, curating the WBEZ.org homepage, and reinforcing best practices for audience engagement and SEO.
Our ideal candidate will be resourceful and resilient, with an appetite for adventure and fun, a healthy competitive spirit, and a passion for growth and innovation in a time of dynamic change. They thrive in a daily news setting and love building collaborative relationships with colleagues across the newsroom. They will have the highest ethical standards and a deep commitment to the mission of public media.
- As part of the digital news team, ensure maximum relevance, accuracy and clarity of WBEZ’s news content across platforms
- Edit copy, headlines and visuals for accuracy, relevance and clarity
- Develop and reinforce SEO best practices
- Select, edit and curate photos, audio files and other multimedia story elements
- Update homepage regularly with fresh content
- Closely monitor local and national news for breaking news, updates, trends and insights
- Assess content from a variety of sources (e.g. NPR, wires) to determine where and how it fits into coverage, feature placement, and social media channels
- Create posts across WBEZ social media platforms to engage audiences and extend the reach of stories
- Conduct research and interviews to gather and advance news
- Pitch, produce and report story ideas for web and air
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
- BA or equivalent training and experience
- Demonstrated experience producing and editing news stories and journalistic content for web and digital platforms with quality, creativity and accuracy
- Strong editing and copy editing skills, including SEO best practices
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Excels in a dynamic, deadline-oriented environment where an attention to detail, especially in regards to accuracy and fairness, is a high priority
- Demonstrated thirst for news and strong editorial judgment
- Demonstrated experience and skill in generating story ideas and writing news stories compellingly and on deadline
- Demonstrated experience in using social media platforms to build audience and deepen engagement and loyalty
- Ability to communicate effectively and work constructively with others, building strong relationships with diverse colleagues
- High journalistic and ethical standards
- Experience editing photos, video and audio elements a plus.
- Knowledge of Chicago and Illinois is a plus, but not required
This position is represented by SAG-AFTRA.
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity, and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days