Who is Chicago Public Media?
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs as This American Life, Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Obama and Making Oprah, and The Trouble with Shannon Cason. WBEZ’s award-winning newsroom is growing in order to tackle the stories that matter most to our community. As an essential source of news and context, we are a powerful connector among lines of difference.
An Opportunity to Make An Impact
At Chicago Public Media, we believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information a right of every citizen. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires and enriches. We connect diverse audiences and help them make a difference in our communities, our region and our world. If you are inspired by our mission and want to belong to an organization that inspires you, supports you, and challenges you, we encourage you to apply.
About the Role
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for planning, coordinating and supervising all activities pertaining to the design, development and implementation of CPM’s technology infrastructure, encompassing systems and network architecture, security, and corporate help desk. The Director IT collaborates closely with colleagues, senior management and other stakeholders to assess user needs and build systems that will improve business processes, drive security and optimize critical business strategies. This role is also involved in leading the overall development of the IT Department’s staff, policy, and procedures.
- As IT leader, be accountable for planning and execution of all aspects of IT, including system architecture, security, network support and information management.
- Assess existing and new technologies in conjunction with the needs of the organization in order to evaluate, plan, and execute the necessary changes to current IT operations and/or technical systems. Develop comprehensive technology strategies and next generation roadmaps. Ensure IT budget and timelines are properly estimated and achieved.
- Create, maintain, and enforce written policies and procedures regarding IT operations.
- Recommend a disaster recovery strategy that balances risk and financial cost. Coordinate, implement and oversee the disaster recovery process, including periodic plan testing.
- Lead the PCI-DSS compliance and audit process within CPM. Propose and implement mitigation strategies to limit exposure to PCI requirements.
- Understands when to take advantage of the cloud versus on-premise solutions.
- Innovate and develop cybersecurity strategies for the IT security environment, including policies, procedures and governance programs.
- Maintain a secure architecture (e.g., firewalls, anti-virus software, anti-malware software, intrusion prevention systems, etc.).
- Remain current on IT trends and security threats.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, business or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years in a series of progressive IT roles including management experience.
- 5+ years in a Microsoft environment – Active Directory, Exchange, Office.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience implementing or working in broad cloud-based platforms and technologies.
- Strong awareness of how policy, procedure, or implementation affects the end user, and ability to communicate user impact effectively.
Working at Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media cares deeply about our employees as we know attracting, nurturing and developing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come.
Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days