About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me…, and the groundbreaking podcast Serial. With an unparalleled reputation for creativity and innovation across all platforms, Chicago Public Media provides substantive news and insights, thoughtful conversation and meaningful connections to its diverse audiences throughout the Chicago area, as well as nationally and globally.
Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, streaming services, smart speakers, social media and mobile. Its flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is dedicated to producing high-quality journalism and engaging programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s website, wbez.org, and mobile app allow listeners to fully control their experience through its groundbreaking rePlayer functionality and on-demand platform. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo Radio (91.1 FM, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative music format.
About the Job
Chicago Public Media, home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, is seeking a savvy, socially-driven pro to join our digital news team during an exciting period of transformation in our Chicago newsroom. This position is for a proven, creative talent who can expose our award-winning journalism across social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat -- and lead the way in expanding our reach to young, diverse news consumers, particularly on mobile.
The ideal candidate will have solid expertise building an engaged and loyal audience – and the ability to identify emerging trends in news and digital technology that will help inform and develop our growing newsroom. They will have a passion for developing meaningful audience engagement pathways for our content and for sharing those insights with internal and external stakeholders.
The social media producer will manage social distribution of our news content, while also creating stories and alternative story forms that allow our daily and enterprise news to be more accessible to wider audiences. At Chicago Public Media, it’s not enough for us to draw larger audiences, but an important component of our mission – and this position -- is to create a space for public conversation on important community issues. We’re seeking a social media producer who can guide us through key news moments through engaging social posts, smart aggregation and impactful videos and visuals.
A commitment to accuracy and excellence defines the work we do at WBEZ; as such, the successful candidate will have strong news judgment, writing and editing skills and work effectively under deadline.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Create, drive and execute WBEZ’s social media strategy to support the newsroom’s audience goals
- Manage newsroom social media accounts to increase engagement, followers and site referrals
- Create an authentic, engaging social voice that exemplifies WBEZ standards
- Use metrics to monitor real-time data, determine traffic patterns and create best practices
- Be our social media guru during live events (including political forums and live streaming)
- Pitch important daily and enterprise coverage to partner platforms such as Apple News
- Collaborate within the digital team, but also across our network of editors, reporters, producers, in addition to our product team and podcast development unit
- Write engaging social posts that encourage interaction through commenting and sharing
- Edits sensitive content for clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style
- Monitor social through active listening for trending topics and breaking news
- Demonstrated skill in thoughtfully building audience and effectively deepening loyalty on a variety of social platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter
- Strong news judgement
- The ability to concisely and accurately explain complicated news story on social platforms
- Experience using performance data in real time and for future editorial planning
- Experience developing editorial calendars and timely content plans for day-to-day coverage across social platforms
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with editors, producers and reporters across the newsroom in service of excellence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to cultivate strong relationships with colleagues and community members
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days
This position is a member of SAG-AFTRA.