Who is Chicago Public Media?
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs asThis American Life, Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Obama and Making Oprah, and The Trouble with Shannon Cason. WBEZ’s award-winning newsroom is growing in order to tackle the stories that matter most to our community. As an essential source of news and context, we are a powerful connector among lines of difference.
An Opportunity To Make An Impact
At Chicago Public Media, we believe independent journalism is essential to a well-functioning democracy and access to fact-based, objective news and information a right of every citizen. We serve the public interest by creating diverse, compelling content that informs, inspires and enriches. We connect diverse audiences and help them make a difference in our communities, our region and our world. If you are inspired by our mission and want to belong to an organization that inspires you, supports you, and challenges you, we encourage you to apply.
Reporting to the Vice President Human Resources, the Talent Acquisition Partner will be responsible for executing our full life cycle recruitment process (intake, posting, sourcing, assessing, hiring and onboarding talent) and will partner with hiring managers across the organization to execute recruiting strategies in support of the Chicago Public Media’s mission and initiatives. This individual will engage talent across a variety of sources and backgrounds to deliver on the objectives of our growing news media organization. The Senior Recruiter must demonstrate exceptional relationship building and collaboration ability to partner with hiring managers. As important is demonstrating a well-disciplined process and the organizational skills to function as a trusted business partner – well equipped to engage the right talent to enhance the culture and performance of Chicago Public Media.
CPM is growing and building on its reputation for quality journalism across multiple platforms. This is truly an opportunity to be the face of Talent Acquisition and to make an impact on the talent we add to our organization.
- Develop and execute recruiting and sourcing strategies to attract exceptional talent for CPM. Build candidate pools using a variety of tools and techniques, including, but not limited to, job boards, passive database searches, events, competitive intelligence, networking, employee referrals, community outreach, developing relationships with key diversity institutions and sources
- Proficiently manage the full cycle of recruitment: phone screening, scheduling interviews, soliciting feedback, preparing and extending offers
- Establish and build effective and successful relationships with hiring managers at all levels of the organization. Via in-take sessions, partner with hiring managers to understand their priorities, recruiting challenges and position requirements.
- Act as a resource to hiring managers on hiring trends, metrics, interviewing techniques, and onboarding best practices.
- Drive the entire recruitment and selection process while meeting established Talent Acquisition metrics and following hiring process guidelines.
- Based on intake sessions with hiring managers, determine most effective method of recruitment approach through posting language, sourcing and qualifying potential candidates, completing initial phone interviews and onsite behavioral interviews, and scheduling candidate debriefs with interview teams and decision makers.
- Coordinate pre-employment testing (background and reference checks) during offer stage.
- Consult hiring managers through salary recommendations and offer negotiations.
- Manage requisitions and candidates in Applicant Tracking System and make recommendations on system improvements.
- Attend external events such as the Public Media Village to engage with diverse candidates and build pipelines for future openings.
- Relevant experience in the news and/or media industries a plus.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Own a track record of success in identifying and attracting talent for immediate organizational needs, as well as for identified long-term talent pipelines
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field
- Experience partnering with hiring managers to create targeted recruiting strategies
- Experience recruiting for a broad range of technical and professional exempt and non-exempt positions
- Hands on experience in web-based applicant tracking systems
- Ability to conduct behavioral interviews to determine cultural fit within an organization
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and ability to influence decision-making
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experienced within Corporate recruiting lifecycle “best-practices”
- Experienced in supporting the Talent Acquisition component of our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) partnership initiative
Working at Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media cares deeply about our employees as we know attracting, nurturing and developing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days