Who is Chicago Public Media?
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs as This American Life, Wait,Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Obama and Making Oprah, and The Trouble with Shannon Cason. WBEZ’s award-winning newsroom is growing in order to tackle the stories that matter most to our community. As an essential source of news and context, we are a powerful connector across lines of difference.
About the Job
We are seeking an experienced journalist to help produce a new,2-hour mid-day talk show airing from 11a – 1p each weekday. You will be part of a dynamic team that helps shape the program into an engaging, relevant and in-depth daily conversation that sparks curiosity, furthers understanding and connects diverse audiences to issues, ideas and each other.
Our new mid-day show is a news-driven program that features captivating interviews with public officials, newsmakers and journalists and often incorporates listener calls and comments into the discussion. In addition, it will explore Chicago’s role as a place of tremendous dynamism, diversity, challenge and change in an ever-changing world. This is an environment where our producers are willing to experiment and learn what works and doesen’t work, to create the best audio experience for our audience.
You will be involved in all aspects of daily show production and can expect to spend time each week producing segments for the broadcast and podcast and helping enhance the show’s digital footprint on the web, social media and other digital platforms. Our ideal candidate will bring to the role ideas and creativity, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for excellence and community impact.
Our future producer should have a journalism background with experience working in a fast-paced environment as a reporter, producer or editor for radio, TV and/or web. Experience working on a talk show is a plus but not an absolute necessity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Pitch and conceptualize segments and conduct in-depth research to prepare program hosts and contributors
- Book guests and assist with the execution of daily show and special brodcasts
- Write radio scripts, web content, promotional copy, social media posts
- Develop sources and guest lists on a variety of beats, including politics, criminal justice, education, transportation, health and the arts
- Collaborate with anchors, producers, editors, reporters, digital staff and interns
- Create digital content for Morning Shift digital platforms, including posting and editing of audio segments, web content and other digital forward content.
- Engage listeners and readers on multiple platforms, including digital and social media
- Incorporate listener comments and feedback into future programming
- Participate in on-air fundraising as requested.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 3+ years of journalism experience
- Strong writing skills for broadcast web and promotional material
- Infectious curiosity and a passion for generating creative segment and series ideas
- Demonstrated excitement for the news cycle news cycle strong interest in the Chicago area news and talk ecosystem
- Strong editorial judgment, resourcefulness and researching abilities
- Knowledge of public radio, podcasts and talk shows
- Ability to work efficiently and creatively in a deadline-driven, time-sensitive and team-oriented environment with producers, hosts, anchors, reporters and editors across the newsroom
- Audio editing skills with ProTools, Adobe Audition, Sony Vegas or similar programs
- Experience working with content management systems
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field or equivalent training and journalism experience
- This position may require you to occasionally work evenings and weekends depending on the news cycle.
Working at Chicago Public Media
We at Chicago Public Media care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, nurturing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits including:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days
This position is a member of SAG-AFTRA.