Colorado Public Radio's newsroom expansion continues with an exciting new opportunity for an Afternoon Producer / Editor. The Afternoon Editor manages daily news operation in the afternoon, identifying, assigning and implementing coverage for CPR News on-air and online. The editor assigns a team of news magazine hosts and reporters - and writes and edits news spots for the radio and web - to develop engaging, timely and relevant daily content; and works with newsroom leadership to set and execute overall coverage priorities for CPR's audience.
- Identify, assign and edit daily content including digital stories, newscast material, quick-turn features and two-ways.
- Work with reporters and hosts to develop engaging and relevant daily content for CPR’s audience through two-ways and news spots while coordinating resources closely with the news director and the editorial team.
- Create content for radio newscast and digital platforms as needed.
- Set and manage deadlines for content including immediate digital stories, quick turn features, two-ways and newscasts.
- Prepare and share the daily news lineup with the newsroom in a timely manner through daybooks.
- Work with newsroom leadership to set and execute overall coverage priorities, manage the allocation of resources, provide guidance on quality and guide ethical decision-making.
- Work with Morning Editor to seamlessly transfer the breaking news operation around the clock.
- Manage and direct reporters.
Knowledge and competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Minimum of five years of strong journalism experience with breaking news, meeting deadlines, and management experience strongly desired.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within the newsroom and across departments.
Non-standard working hours guaranteed. This is a Sunday-Thursday shift. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in metro Denver.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Afternoon Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits. Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.