This individual is the primary backup on-air host for CPR’s Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and Weekend Edition. When they aren’t hosting, this person is a full time general assignment reporter for radio and cpr.org. They are expected to file daily stories, quick-turn features, as well as reporter debriefs and some enterprise material.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary backup host for CPR’s news magazines. This includes reporting, writing and editing newscasts and producing newscast material to ensure listeners have the most up-to-date information. Write and voice weather updates, promos, feature leads and tags and continuity breaks. Works closely with editors and reporters in this role.
- Deliver on air material in a credible, conversational and polished manner.
- Report stories for news magazines and newscast. This includes pitching story ideas, producing quick-turn features and debriefs on daily news developments. When not hosting, this position has the same productivity expectations as other reporters in the newsroom.
- Write digital stories. This includes taking photos and participating in CPR’s social media activity.
- Participate in assigned fundraising and outreach activities, on air and off.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work non-standard hours at times including during early morning and evenings and occasional weekends.
- Travel in Colorado required.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Professional experience in journalism required.
- Demonstrated strong news judgment, writing and delivery skills. Strong understanding of the fundamentals of journalism and fair and accurate reporting.
- Public radio news hosting experience required.
- Experience with audio production software.
- Must understand and adhere to CPR News Ethics policy.
- Social media skills and data analysis skills are preferred.
- Familiarity with WordPress preferred.
- Able to work collaboratively, meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks.
Position is based in metro Denver.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "GA Reporter / Backup Host" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity