Position Announcement #119009 – Senior Managing Attorney
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Senior Managing Attorney. Salary $110,000 - $130,000. This position reports directly to the EVP and Chief Policy and Business Affairs Officer.
To provide legal counsel and services to CPB managers and project staff, supporting the preparation and execution of contracts for television, radio, Internet, and new media program development and production and other general corporate business.
Additionally, support the EVP in the operations of the Office of Business Affairs (OBA) by 1) assisting in administering and managing the OBA to ensure that contracts and production agreements are reviewed, drafted and negotiated in an efficient and timely manner in compliance with CPB policies and applicable laws, regulations; 2) providing guidance to CPB’s operational departments and in support of other general corporate business; and, 3) assisting with the development and implementation of OBA policies and business processes.
- Assists the EVP in administering and managing the workflow processes within OBA, reviewing and leading efforts in the drafting and negotiating of CPB contracts and grants , and ensuring the adequacy and quality of all technical contract and grant matters. Keeps the EVP apprised of activities, and monitors contract and grant workflow through the preparation and maintenance of appropriate documentation, records and statistics of the department’s activities.
- Works with media departments and others to understand business needs and to plan the workflow of OBA accordingly. Responds to questions, provides information, and troubleshoots problems both internally and externally.
- Assists the EVP in reviewing deliverables that have been approved for payment by OBA Coordinator or other OBA personnel prior to forwarding to Finance for payment. Discusses significant or unusual deliverable issues with EVP, OBA attorneys and, as appropriate, project officers and grantees.
- Participates in ongoing efforts to revise and update those CPB contract templates (i.e. standard grant agreement and consulting agreement) and coordinates the distribution of such templates company wide.
- Exercises OBA concurrence review duties, as required, in absence of EVP. Educates oneself on emerging legal issues relevant to Business Affairs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate (JD)
- Member in good standing of a state bar.
- Eight years relevant transactional law experience.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of contracts, business and financial analysis and typical contracting procedures.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency related to project management and leadership.
- Strong organization and time management skills, as well as analytical and negotiation capabilities, and an attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively and develop and strategically manage business relationships, as well as difficult or confrontational situations.
- Advanced critical thinking skills, with the ability to resolve problems and apply judgment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated technical/computer proficiency with MS Office.
- Familiarity with intellectual property and entertainment law issues, as well as new media and related issues
- Evidence of ability to take a leadership role and establish records and systems to accomplish duties and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Proficient meeting facilitation skills.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.