Position Announcement #119001 – Vice President, Digital Strategies
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Vice President, Digital Strategies. This position reports directly to the SVP, TV Content and Innovation.
The Vice President of Digital Strategies plans, leads and executes strategic initiatives and projects that support CPB’s digital media, innovation and infrastructure investments. This includes leading programs that influence positive culture change and advance system leadership and staff. The Vice President works closely with the SVP, TV Content and Innovation, as well as CPB’s leadership to provide and present market insights and analysis on emerging technologies and digital media trends to inform CPB’s business decisions and strategic planning. The Vice President communicates and interacts with system leaders, stakeholders, and outside experts to identify and assess the impact of changing technologies and business models on public media’s infrastructure and operations. The Vice President will also assess digital aspects of CPB’s grants, including technical and digital development practices, and provide strategic guidance on improvements that will enhance outcomes.
- Works with SVP, Television Content and Innovation to formulate a vision, develop strategies and plans to advance innovation in public media’s service to the nation. Assists in the development of innovation initiatives and creates implementation plans to carry out initiatives; Works with SVP Television Content and Innovation to build support in the system for CPB’s innovation initiatives.
- Leads management of large-scale, technically complex projects and serves as a resource to the organization by advising on and/or facilitating projects involving newer and emerging media technologies and business strategies.
- Develops new grant rounds and projects, specifically providing insight into the feasibility, costs, priorities, KPIs, and system requirements of projects involving new technologies or other media platforms. Helps translate business requirements into viable designs for technical solutions.
- Leads digitally focused projects and initiatives and ensures effective and efficient execution and completion.
- Guides project officers and department managers in assessing the digital components of projects and grant proposals.
- Provides CPB with insight on trends in media infrastructure, technology, platform, strategies, and innovation, especially related to the development, creation, and distribution of digital first content.
- Works closely with the VPs of Media Strategies, Radio, and Education along with other CPB leadership, to develop and execute multi-platform strategy for public media.
- Leads in identification and establishment of project objectives and key initiatives, particularly related to CPB’s investments in digital media technologies as well as for related strategic and tactical planning processes, both system-wide and at the local level, to develop and enhance system operational effectiveness, efficiencies, and improvements to existing processes, systems, and organizational culture.
- Supports public media’s strategic planning efforts through the identification, compilation and synthesis of information pertaining to public broadcasting business models, technical capabilities, audience trends and strategic initiatives through the analysis of relevant available data. Identifies and develops solutions to data and/or research gaps that would best inform these efforts.
- Works with the SVP to create business processes and develop appropriate performance benchmarks that foster an effective and productive division. Ensures that CPB funds are proactively and prudently managed in a manner consistent with CPB policy.
- Establishes ongoing evaluation and follow-up actions to assess the effect and/or impact of projects and strategic initiatives and identify opportunities for improvement to support and enhance their future success.
- Creates and maintains effective and productive working relationships within CPB and with public broadcasting organizations in order to create synergy around digital media strategies and secure and share information regarding industry trends and activities.
- Consults with system and external digital leaders and convenes advisory groups meetings and panels to solicit ongoing insights and feedback.
- Creates and manages communication processes and vehicles within CPB for sharing information related to the results of department projects and investments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- A minimum of 15 years work experience in a professional level position requiring skills in program leadership and project management.
- Experience in developing digital media strategies and managing projects for digital technology platforms and/or digital media and social platforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of media technologies, including broadcast technology and web-based applications, and knowledge of media technology trends. Understanding of CMS and CRM systems.
- Strong knowledge of web technologies and the delivery of solutions with creative and engineering components
- Demonstrated knowledge of data, reporting, and analytics systems and tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently, on teams, and influence work of non-direct reports / teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, with a demonstrated proficiency in business writing and analytical skills.
- Advanced business, technology or similar degree.
- Experience with digital strategy, systems, tools and service.
- Familiarity with contract or grant management.
- Familiarity with the Communications Act and FCC broadcast regulations.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.