Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 10 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, in collaboration with the license-holder, the Detroit Public Schools. The radio station is located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; WORLD 56.3 and CREATE 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Part-Time Communications – Print Specialist in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Part-Time Communications-Print Specialist will provide graphic and design support to advance the work of the Communications and Community Engagement Department of Detroit Public Television (DPTV). This individual will be responsible for all aspects of Signal magazine production, the stations’ schedule guide, as well as creating other print materials that convey effective messages and conform to DPTV and WRCJ branding guidelines. At times, the Part-Time Communication-Print Specialist may be called upon to supply research, writing, digital and social media support as needed by the department.
- Manage production of Signal magazine, overseeing design, content and production details. Create and maintain Production calendar for Signal
- Produce promotional, communications and marketing materials for print, digital and social medial platforms
- Contribute to other tasks of the department, as needed, including (but not limited to) e-newsletters, social media, online content, media releases and CEO email
- Understand the strategic communications and engagement objectives of DPTV and apply creative and effective approaches to achieve demonstrable results
- Meet regularly with directors of digital platforms and communications and establish effective relationships with other DPTV colleagues
- Assist on the redesign and maintenance of the DPTV website
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent design, writing and editing skills
- Proven copyediting and proofread skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of and adherence to tenets of accuracy, fairness and ethical standards of communications
- Ability to work well across the many departments of DPTV and with diverse communities in the external environment
- Familiarity with and interest in topics of importance to the DPTV community and an ability to provide creative support to promote, enhance and amplify content
- Creative, innovative and thoughtful approaches to assignments
- Ability to adapt to a changing media landscape and to apply emerging technologies as necessary
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- An appreciation for the mission of public media
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant professional experience
- 1 - 2 years experience in print production preferred
- Working knowledge of page layout/graphic software and related programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, and over advanced applications
- Proven copyediting and proofreading skills
- Experience working on various PC and MAC platforms
What You’ll Get:
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 1/23/2018
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ FM 90.0, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com