The Senior Editor is the editorial head of NPR’s Latino USA, an award-winning weekly public radio program and podcast that focuses on Latinos and the Latino experience. The Senior Editor supervises the editorial and production process of the show, edits individual stories, and is responsible for overseeing the tone and content of the program, adhering to rigorous journalistic standards as well as consistently bringing cutting-edge storytelling to the show. The Senior Editor, along with the Senior Producer and the Production Manager form the three-part Latino USA leadership team.
This is a full-time position based in Harlem, New York City that reports to Futuro Media’s Executive Director, and works closely with Host & Executive Producer Maria Hinojosa and all other departments at Futuro Media.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as general head of Latino USA’s editorial content. Oversee all editorial/creative aspects of the show, from developing story ideas to reviewing the final weekly show and maintaining the editorial, style and production standards of the program.
- Oversee editing processes and manage the junior editor and other editorial staff as necessary.
- Decide on editorial angles of stories and interviews.
- Work with in-house producers, freelancers and collaborators to edit, produce and shape stories in Latino USA’s style.
- Supervise writing and editing of show scripts.
- Lead pitch meetings.
- Provide detailed edit notes on stories at various stages of production.
- Maintain a consistent sound and “voice” of the show.
- Develop and execute partnerships for editorial content with other programs and journalistic outlets.
- Responsible for program’s balance and adherence to NPR and Futuro Media codes of ethics.
- Supervise writing and editing of web content associated with radio stories.
- Regularly assesses the show’s content and editorial priorities.
- Provide vision and leadership to editorial and production staff of Latino USA.
- As needed, support Host/EP and senior staff with Development-related tasks.
- As needed, provide editing or act as an editorial sounding board for other Futuro Media properties.
SUCCESS IN THE JOB WILL REQUIRE:
- Ability to work in a team environment that promotes collaboration and effective communication across all departments.
- Adaptability and the ability to solve problems as they arise.
- Excellent journalism chops.
- Sensitivity to reporting on untold stories and underreported communities.
- A cutting edge storytelling sense.
- Sensitivity to a workplace environment committed to diversity.
Cover letter stating qualifications, resume, work samples and contact information for three (3) references must be submitted to be considered for this position.
To apply, please send your application materials via email with the subject “Latino USA Senior Editor Position” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
Futuro Media is a diverse work environment and encourages individuals from all backgrounds to apply.