Director of Engineering
Company and Culture. KMFA is a community-licensed all-classical public radio station, and as such we are committed to both reflecting and participating in the Austin arts community. We value honesty, empathetic listening, and enthusiasm in our employees across all departments and positions.
Position Overview. This employee will perform general technical and programming operations support. Individual must be able to assess and solve problems, implement new systems and procedures as needed, and work in close cooperation with others. This position requires excellent skills in prioritization, organization, attention to detail, and time management. The dominant skill areas are IT and Radio/Media Engineering Operations. As a member of KMFA your role may extend into the greater community through live performance and special event initiatives. Reports to the Content Director.
Essential Job Functions
● Direct the operation, continuous monitoring, and maintenance of the electronic equipment used in the KMFA studios and technical plant. These systems include the airchain, transmitter, automation, public radio satellite distribution, and production studio systems.
● Provide technical support for all organizational computer hardware and software, liaising with 3rd party IT consultants.
● Proactively respond to and correct problems when they occur and anticipate problems before they occur.
● Work with all departments to address the overall technical needs of the radio station and to correct and respond to problems.
● Coordinate notifications to staff relating to technical and broadcast operation matters.
● Serve in an on-call capacity for technical emergencies.
● Review station operating logs, trouble reports, technical listener feedback reports, and sign-on/sign-off logs; initiate problem resolution as needed.
● Maintain operational procedures for all studios as well as any general use staff equipment.
● Coordinate with 3rd party technical contractors as needed for problem resolution.
● Assist in technical support for website and streaming applications.
● Responsible for creating and maintaining budget for all technical and engineering equipment and expenses.
● Keep technical and broadcast engineering updated with latest technology and equipment.
● Other technical and broadcast operational duties as assigned.
● Minimum 10-years in public or commercial radio broadcast engineering including transmitter installation, operation, maintenance, and audio production experience required.
● Certification as a Broadcast Engineer preferred. Degree or equivalent experience in IT and/or radio technical operations and engineering or a related field.
● Experience and working knowledge of using/programming automation, traffic applications, and digital editing systems required.
● Demonstrated ability to set priorities, follow-through with systematic task management, and incorporate direction from supervisor in pursuit of problem resolution and goal attainment.
● Excellent computer skills – knowledge of multiple applications and platforms necessary. Candidate must have knowledge of computer maintenance and operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux.
● Extensive knowledge in airchain infrastructure and broadcast engineering software and equipment required.
● Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to engage with a broad diversity of individuals.
● Positive, team-oriented attitude and strong focus on internal customer service.
● Demonstrated ability to be flexible, creative, proactive, and self-managed.
● Ability to work in cooperation with others and adapt to a changing work environment.
Compensation and Benefits
● Full-Time Salaried Employee
● Will include on-call and flexible schedule to accommodate all KMFA events, performances and operations.
● Benefits include 100% paid benefits for Health, Dental Vision and Life. Flexible Spending Plan and 403b Retirement match when eligible. Generous Personal Paid-Time Off, Holiday and Vacation plan.
KMFA-FM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation.
Please send resume to email@example.com
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.