Apply online ONLY https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/8156/kpbs-news-producer/job
Req No. 2018-8156
Type Full-Time Contract
Salary Starting at $23.54/hour DOE
Dept/Proj Name KPBS
Close Date 11/13/2018
The News Producer will produce segments and newscast items and line produce KPBS Evening Edition, the nightly news show on KPBS TV, and KPBS Roundtable, the weekly news analysis show on KPBS TV and radio.
The News Producer will work at the direction of the Director of News & Editorial Strategy (DNES), and under the supervision of the Senior News Producer, and with members of the news team, including news editors, anchors, producers, videographers, video editors, reporters, and production assistants and interns.
The News Producer is expected to participate in station on-air fundraising activities, and make appearances for KPBS community building events and other public relations activities.
This position is covered by the SAG/AFTRA collective bargaining agreement with KPBS.
Apply online ONLY
- Collaborates with Senior News Producer, editors, anchors and newsroom members to determine the content of Evening Edition and Roundtable.
- Writes, edits and researches story elements. Proofreads scripts.
- Stacks overall order of shows for flow and high production value.
- Prepares interview segments, in field or studio.
- Produces weekly economy segment for Evening Edition.
- Books guests, conducts research, writes questions and scripts, and identifies graphics and video for Roundtable.
- Reviews news material for quality control prior to live broadcast.
- Line produces the live shows.
- Times the shows while on air.
- Coordinates breaking news with editorial desk.
- Tracks and updates information in ENPS and the news whiteboard.
- Writes web stories for Roundtable and for Evening Edition.
- Edits audio and video clips in Premiere for Evening Edition and Roundtable, and may edit and write radio stories for radio newscasts.
- Assists with coordination of videojournalists as needed.
- May be asked to work on special programs (election shows, series) that fall outside of Evening Edition and Roundtable.
- Reads and follows major developments on general stories.
- Maintains contact lists and files for on-going continuity of coverage and accumulation of knowledge.
- Brainstorms story ideas with editors, hosts, reporters and producers.
Other duties: attends meetings, represents the station at public events, and is responsible for appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgment and ability to generate engaging story ideas.
- Ability to think creatively about topics and story angles.
- Strong writing experience in broadcast, online and/or print.
- Knowledge and adherence to high ethical standards.
- Knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling and AP Style.
- Ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple stories at once, and shift gears quickly.
- Be decisive and accurate in breaking news situations.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with editors and station colleagues, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at KPBS and within the public broadcasting system.
- Strong verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer and research skills.
- Ability to edit withAdobe Premiere.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of insurance required.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures.
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Ability to engage audience via social media.
- Minimum two years professional experience as a TV news journalist, including minimum of one year’s experience in research, preferably in a broadcast or print news/interview setting.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work in journalism.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation. SDSU Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer.
Apply online ONLY
Apply online ONLY