PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ONLY
The KPBS Web Producer works closely with the digital news team, and the Interactive Strategy department to create original content in support of our news coverage. The web producer creates news briefs content, and broadcast content as assigned. The position is responsible for helping us to grow and diversify our audience by enhancing our core, public-service driven content, using audience engagement strategies. This includes serving as the “Become a KPBS Source”/Public Insight Network co-analyst for the newsroom. The web producer executes digital strategy under the supervision of the Digital Editor and in close concert with the Morning Multimedia Producer, Director of News & Editorial Strategy, Senior Producer for News and Convergence and the Senior News Editor. The web producer also keeps abreast of various news sites and sources throughout the day and regularly updates KPBS.org with news stories. The web producer may be assigned to appear as a guest or host on KPBS TV and radio programs. The Web Producer may produce local content for on all KPBS platforms, including radio, TV, the web, and mobile applications.
This position is covered by the SAG/AFTRA collective bargaining agreement with KPBS.
Web Producing, Social Media:
- Under the direction of the Digital Editor, the web producer builds online sections and features incorporating research, writing, editing, layout, and multimedia and other interactive features.
- Covers general and breaking news stories on KPBS.org efficiently and accurately.
- Works closely with KPBS Interactive & content producers to break & develop ongoing stories. Under the direction of the Digital Editor, updates KPBS.org to reflect editorial priorities. Regularly checks wire services, local news sources & blogs for developing stories around Southern California, with a focus on the San Diego and Imperial Valley region.
- Updates social media sites on a regular basis. Uses online resources & apps to deepen coverage of local news stories.
- Provides training and ongoing assistance on online tools for reporters and producers.
- Reviews and copy edits reporters' online news stories, in coordination with the Senior News Editor.
- Stays up-to-date on emerging and current technologies, and meets with the KPBS Interactive Strategy team on a regular basis to learn about and provide feedback on the suite of online tools available to the KPBS News team.
- Stays up-to-date on news and current events, particularly in San Diego.
- Develops regular community of listeners/viewers/users and identifies new opportunities for engagement with KPBS' online audience.
- Cultivates sources, identifies important trends in local news, & collects & verifies information through a variety of online/offline channels.
- The web producer works under the supervision of the Digital Editor, and in close concert with the KPBS DNES and Senior Producer of News & Convergence, assisting in identifying, developing and creating special coverage that support KPBS’s overall mission.
Administration & Other:
- The web producer attends meetings and is responsible for appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment and other duties as assigned.
- The web producer will participate in station on-air fundraising activities, and make appearances for KPBS community building events and other or related public relations activities.
- The web producer adheres to deadlines and, in concert with appropriate staff, makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention.
Minimum Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in news judgment and ability to swiftly and accurately report breaking news on all platforms.
- Impeccable knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling and AP Style.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; reliably meet deadlines.
- Ability to successfully engage audience via social media.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with editors and station colleagues, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at KPBS and within the public broadcasting system.
- Knowledge of, and adherence to, high ethical standards, particularly in relation to online content.
- Has experience in online production, including writing, editing, graphic design principles, basic HTML, photography, photo editing, audio and video production, and working with content management systems.
- Highly motivated self-starter, with a high energy level and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong team player with desire to collaborate with others
- Reliable transportation, valid driver's license and proof of insurance required.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Minimum two years of professional, progressively responsible experience in journalism, preferably in a Top 30 market.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ONLY