DESCRIPTION: KUCB is looking for a creative, adventurous reporter to join the westernmost public radio newsroom in the country. While Unalaska is small and remote, it’s an amazing place for journalists. We are located in the nation’s top fishing port, as well as an international shipping and research hub. The community is diverse, with cultural history dating back more than 8,000 years. KUCB is committed to local news while providing regional coverage of the Aleutian Chain and Pribilof Islands. You will be one of a handful of journalists based in this thousand-mile region.
- Research, write, and produce news and feature stories.
- Host local news broadcasts, special events, City Council coverage, call-ins and live news coverage.
- Beat and assignment reporting including crime and courts, municipal government, school board, school issues, sports, and fisheries.
- Prepare stories for distribution to CoastAlaska, the Alaska Public Radio Network, and NPR.
- Prepare stories for distribution via the KUCB website and social media.
- Maintain news archives and story files.
- Capture feature and news photography and video, as needed.
- Assist in the training and mentoring of news department interns, students, and volunteers.
- Assist in daily on-air operations of KUCB-FM and KUCB-TV as needed.
- Assist with fundraising efforts, as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the general manager.
- Experience as a reporter.
- Demonstrated skills in radio journalism, including excellent writing, news interviewing, audio production, and on-air delivery skills.
- Knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of news reporting.
- Knowledge of Alaska and local issues, interests, and trends.
- Ability to work under deadlines and with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work with other staff and the public in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
SALARY AND CLASSIFICATION: Salary Range C, starting in the mid $40,000’s, depending upon experience, plus competitive benefits including health insurance, retirement plan, paid leave and holidays. This is a full-time, exempt position under federal and state labor laws. Salary is based on a 40-hour work week.
Send cover letter, resume, three references, and links to at least three samples of published work to: email@example.com. This position is open until filled, with first consideration on April 30.