KUSM/MontanaPBS is a partnership of Montana State University-Bozeman (KUSM) and the University of Montana-Missoula (KUFM).
The Director of Finance is a member of KUSM/MontanaPBS’s senior leadership team. The primary function of the Director of Finance is the financial management of KUSM/MontanaPBS, including supervision of reporting, analysis, day-to-day operations, compliance, audit preparation, budgeting, purchasing and communication with KUSM/MontanaPBS directors and staff. Additionally, the Director of Finance serves as a resource and liaison regarding financial matters to finance board members of the Friends of MontanaPBS, a private non-profit organization. This position provides oversight and supervision for the KUSM Accounting Associates. On behalf of KUSM/MontanaPBS, the Director of Finance also provides general human resource functions and is a liaison to MSU Human Resources.
MontanaPBS values and promotes diversity in broadcasting, and in all aspects of our organization, and strongly encourages women and minorities to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting and Financial Management
- As part of the KUSM/MontanaPBS senior leadership team, develop and promote a culture of sound fiscal management.
- Represent KUSM/MontanaPBS regarding financial matters within the university system as well as to outside agencies and auditors.
- Manage financial planning and reporting for funds allocated by the State of Montana, funds provided by granting agencies as well as revenue from fee-based charge back businesses.
- Provide general financial oversight of all ancillary KUSM business activities related to product sales, production services, royalty receipts and payments.
- Ensure financial statements are prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and comply with all relevant laws, regulations and policies.
- Establish policies and procedures within KUSM/MontanaPBS to ensure compliance with MSU/UM and other relevant accounting and financial policies.
- Approve accounts payable payments, funding sources and specialized account coding.
Project Financial Management
- Provide financial management for department projects including developing budgets, tracking expenditures and revenue generation.
- Coordinate with MSU Grants & Contracts and MSU Financial Services as needed.
- Coordinate with the Friends of MontanaPBS Campaign treasurer when specific projects are funded from this source.
Grant Financial Management and Audit Facilitation
- Ensure reporting compliance and manage the financial activities for all grants within the department.
- Provide financial information to principal investigators for grant proposal budget development and expenditure tracking.
- Act as the sole provider for compliance with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) grant requirements. Compliance and reporting for this grant is fundamental to determine eligibility and level of funding for future CPB grants. CPB funding is a substantial portion of MontanaPBS’ operating budget.
- Work with external auditors on the required annual financial statement audit, preparing all schedules and reconciliations to enable the auditors to complete a trial balance and audited financial statements.
- Granting agencies include the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the U. S. Department of Commerce Public Telecommunications Facilities Program, and the Public Broadcasting Service among others.
- Develop annual budgets in conjunction with the other KUSM/MontanaPBS directors, planning for programming, production, broadcasting, development, outreach and management.
- Prepare historical budget reports and long range planning budget projections for the KUSM Director and General Manager.
Human Resources Support
- Providing human resources support at the department level which includes preparing employment contracts and appointments, using the Applicant Tracking system for recruitments, advising management regarding staffing plans and budgets, and working closely with MSU Human Resources to ensure compliance with relevant policies, procedures, etc.
- Set work objectives, define procedures and establish priorities for accounting staff.
- Select, hire, train and evaluate department accounting staff.
Occasional in and out of state travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Management or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Demonstrated experience in full accrual accounting and direct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated experience preparing and presenting budgets and forecasts.
- Demonstrated experience using enterprise accounting software packages and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated experience preparing financial data and schedules for auditors.
- Demonstrated record of effective staff supervision.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Veterans/Disabled.
Find the full job description here: https://jobs.montana.edu/postings/16559
Apply online at Montana State University's job board: https://jobs.montana.edu/postings/16559
Resume and cover letter required.