Mendocino County Public Broadcasting
KZYX is reopening a search for Program Director. We are a rural 5000-watt NPR affiliate serving all of Mendocino County, California, as well as parts of Lake, Humboldt and Sonoma counties. Since 1989, KZYX has been a vital resource for local and national news, public safety, and entertainment. KZYX offers a diversity of national programming as well as exceptional music and public affairs shows produced by local volunteer programmers. We are located in the rural community of Anderson Valley, an area known for its beauty and creativity.
The program director oversees and manages the KZYX program schedule and works closely with the general manager and operations director to ensure that programming meets the standards of the FCC and fulfills the mission of KZYX, to bring balanced, diverse programming which informs and serves the community.
The ideal applicant will have the following skills:
· Highly organized with the ability to multi-task
· Broadcast experience, preferably in non-commercial radio
· Strong communication and writing skills
· Journalism experience
· Successful fundraising experience
· Audio editing proficiency and strong computer skills
· Experience managing staff/volunteers
· Ability to work with a diverse group of people as a team player
· Familiarity with and appreciation of rural life
· Familiarity with FCC regulations
· Leadership experience and skills
· Plan and implement program schedule in consultation with operations director and general manager
· Oversee and implement disaster response and safety information during emergencies
· Coordinate, manage and recruit volunteer programmers, engineers, and hosts.
· Produce regular programming for KZYX
· Supervise Music Director to ensure functions of that department are being fulfilled
· Support the development of programming that reflects diverse community needs, including listeners who are currently underrepresented on our airwaves including youth, Latino, African American, Asian American, Native American and LGBTQ community.
· Supervise support staff and interns
· Serve as backup to Operator on Duty. Act as backup to supervise DAD automation.
· Develop and maintain collaborations with relevant local and regional organizations such as Mendocino College and other radio stations.
· Support archival and podcast objectives, manage social media
· Develop and facilitate ongoing training for new and existing broadcasters
· Act as contact person to outside content providers (NPR, PRX, Pacifica etc.)
· Assist with planning and operations of fundraising drives in collaboration with the Membership director and other staff
· Implement disciplinary actions in consultation with the general manager and operations director
· Other duties as assigned by general manager.
General Manager, Marty Durlin, firstname.lastname@example.org