It’s an exciting time to be a part of Michigan Radio’s growing digital media team, and we’re hiring a Digital Tech Specialist to join us in expanding the digital reach of our award-winning news organization.
We’re looking for a versatile individual with a curiosity about how things work – and how they can be improved upon. The ideal candidate will have a knack for maintaining site-wide Google Analytics and generating robust reports, so that we can better track and inform our news, marketing, and membership teams about what’s working – and what isn’t. The Digital Tech Specialist will also guide us through website improvements, maintain our current content management system and WordPress sites, and manage a CMS transition. They’ll work closely with our NPR Digital Services team to ensure we’re adhering to best practices, and be an advocate for those best practices across the station.
The ideal candidate will also have an interest in expanding our audio listening experiences to multiple digital platforms. This includes, but is not limited to, our mobile app, NPR One, podcasting platforms, our growing smart speaker platform, and other non-terrestrial digital listening services. The tech specialist will also work with our engineer to ensure these platforms are maintained and functioning properly.
Beyond technical responsibilities, we’re looking for someone who can help us elevate our digital offerings. While a background in journalism isn’t required, an interest in bringing stories and projects to life on screen – across web, social, and mobile platforms – is preferred. This includes, but isn’t limited to, an interest in creating interactive websites, working on video filming and editing, photography, and graphic design.
We know that there are candidates out there who might not have all the qualifications listed – or might even have alternative skills to offer. We also know that a passion for public radio and a strong desire to learn can go a long way in our collaborative department. If any of that sounds like you, please don’t hesitate to reach out and tell us about yourself.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working collaboratively with station managers and staff to develop, design and implement online content, tools, and web style standards to ensure consistency, timeliness and best user experience for the station's digital presence.
- Generating ideas that enhance the online user experience.
- Evaluating, testing and implementing new initiatives, features, and functionality.
- Working with the station system administrator and the University to maintain online properties, including such things as maximizing user experience and search engine optimization.
- Creating solutions in conjunction with vendors and streaming specialists to ensure Michigan Radio’s audio product is available through streaming, apps, podcast services, and other emerging technologies.
- Working collaboratively across the digital, newsroom, marketing, and membership departments, but also pitching individual projects to strengthen our digital offerings.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with interactive web applications with demonstrated results.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong design and information architecture skills needed, including knowledge of web site creation, content management systems, technology software, and best practices.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee diverse projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, ability to meet deadlines and take direction.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite preferred, but not required.
How to Apply:
Apply online at http://careers.umich.edu. Enter job number 174587 in the Key Word and click Search. Follow application instructions. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, faxes, or emails. You can also access this information at: http://michiganradio.org/topic/jobs-michigan-radio
Job Openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eight day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.